Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bug(?) report for 1440 and VS 2005

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 01 2006 : 7:22:15 PM
I am using new source control system from Team Server Beta 3. I have it setup in a way that it asks for check out confirmation when I try to edit the file that I don't have checked out.

If I answer "Cancel" on the check out confirmation dialog, the window with the source code on top of which the dialog opened is not repainted after the dialog is closed. Disabling the VA makes the problem disappear.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 14 2006 : 2:58:19 PM
setting up a test system is on my list of things to do, but it will take a little while, since i do not use windows server 2003.
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 4:05:47 PM
Alt-tab away from the IDE and back again refreshes the screen as well. Yes, obviously there are workarounds, but it is inconvenience nevertheless.
feline Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 3:37:34 PM
i believe support was looking for something else that would trigger a refresh if clicking in the source window did not do so.

do simple operations like hitting escape (to move focus back to the source window) or alt-tab away from the IDE and back again also refresh the screen?

i am hoping for a fairly easy work around for the time being.
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 12:47:08 PM
Yes, I received trial key.

If I click in the source window it refreshes. Regarding anything else - tell me specifically what to try and I will let you know if this caused window refresh.
support Posted - Feb 10 2006 : 10:02:23 PM
We see from your 3rd image that your source window is not refreshed after you cancel from the VSS dialog.

Does the source window refresh if you click in it?

Does is refresh if you do anything else?

(We assume you got your key to extend your trial. Send us email if not.)
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 10 2006 : 3:57:29 PM
I am willing to allow remote access to my PC if developers are willing to investigate this further. Send me an email via forum if interested.
feline Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 5:52:48 PM
definitely a problem. i will set about setting up a test machine so i can try to reproduce this.
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 10:56:02 AM
OK here it is:

this is how screen looks before dialog appears:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379950

This is how it looks with the dialog (some info was blanked out by me for confidentiality):

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379951

This is how it looks like after I press "Cancel" (some info was blanked out by me for confidentiality):

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379952

Obviously this is wrong - it should look like before the dialog appears, and what you see is that editor window hasn't been repainted completely after the dialog closed (only the line with "Hello, Wrld!" is repainted, this is probably where cursor is).

If I disable VA then everything works correctly.

HTH.
feline Posted - Feb 08 2006 : 5:59:05 PM
if you have tried a previous beta of 14xx then you will only get a 3 day evaluation of 1440, so this may be what caused the effect you have seen. i will email support and ask them to get you a temporary license so you can evaluate 1440
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 08 2006 : 5:13:44 PM
Actually, I just realized I can't reproduce the problem anymore - 1440 trial expired prematurely on my PC (was supposed to run for a month, but expired in a couple of days right after I logged in to my PC via remote desktop - could this be the reason?)

I am sending Feline an email with our billing email address (we are licensed customers up until 1301) and asking for temp serial number to use 1440 for another couple of weeks if possible
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 08 2006 : 4:28:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

just to confirm, this problem does not show up with VA 1301 ?

i will look into installing VSS on a test machine and have a go at reproducing this.

To clarify: this problem can't possibly be related to VA 1301 in any way because this version doesn't even support VS 2005. The problem disappeared when I disable VA completely and started using built-in Intellisense.

I will try to reproduce it later and post a screenshot.
feline Posted - Feb 06 2006 : 12:59:34 PM
i have installed Visual Source Safe 6.0c (i had it on hand) onto a machine and set it to be a local database. i then checked a project into VSS with VS2005 Professional, and set it to prompt me when i edit a file that is not checked out.

i am not getting any screen refresh problems with this configuration, using VA 1440. i may have to set up a different test system to try and reproduce this.
feline Posted - Feb 04 2006 : 3:21:55 PM
just to confirm, this problem does not show up with VA 1301 ?

i will look into installing VSS on a test machine and have a go at reproducing this.
JoeSchmoe007 Posted - Feb 03 2006 : 11:38:40 AM
You need Windows Server 2003 and SQL server to use this, but I think the problem may show itself if you use VSS as you source code repository and answer "Cancel" in the similar situation. I can't check this myself anymore because my trial version of 1440 has expired after several days of use and I reverted to 1301.
feline Posted - Feb 02 2006 : 5:17:44 PM
do you need a separate server for this to work, or can i install all of this on a single machine? i do not currently have such a test system up and running, and am not quite sure where to start.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000