Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Assist X on Visual Studio 2005

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
arik_peltz Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 04:41:36 AM
Hi,

I've installed the latest release on Visual Assist X on my machine that has 3 versions of Visual Studio installed on (6.0, 2003, 2005).

Only when the Visual Assist is active on Visual Studio 2005, my machine reboots itself without any notification. When I disable it for Visual Studio 2005, it doesn't happen.

My OS is windows 2000 SP4.

Any ideas ?

Arik
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RMdata Posted - Feb 10 2006 : 2:37:22 PM
This can also be a symptom of a hardware problem, with RAM.

This might be easy to test for, depending on your RAM configuration. For example, if you have two RAM sticks in the machine and both are the same type, simply swap the two around. If it's the RAM, this won't cause the problem to go away, but the symptoms will change and will no longer seem to be related to VAX loading.
SvenC Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 12:58:28 PM
Hi Arik,

instant reboots in an NT based system like Windows 2000 and above smells like some bug in one of your drivers. My blind guess is your graphics card driver. VAX might trigger some graphical operations that your driver doesn't like.

I once had a problem with beta1 of Windows Vista on my laptop with an nvidia card: I like to have the Windows language bar floating on my screen with transparency enabled. As soon as I tried to enable transparency for the language bar in vista beta1 my laptop rebooted. Reproduceable 100%.

You might try to watch out for updated drivers for your graphics card or if you happen to use the latest greatest beta driver to go back to an earlier release version.

HTH,
SvenC
support Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 01:31:27 AM
Does the reboot occur at random or after specific activity?
feline Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 4:22:38 PM
odd, this is the same configuration as my test machines, and i have never seen this problem, or anything even close.

are you able to run some checks? specifically, if you load the IDE but do not open any solutions do you have any problems? do you have any other plugin's installed? does the machine have any history of such problems?

assuming this is related to VA, and not triggered by any other plugin's then i would expect it to be solution specific, so it would be useful if you could try creating a couple of default solutions, to see if that makes any difference.

beyond this, can you try to create a VA log file?

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000