Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Performance is really bad with build 1440

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ehuna Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 2:42:15 PM
I downloaded and installed version 10.2.1440.0 last Friday. Since then the performance has been really bad: any character I type brings the CPU to 80%-90% for 10-15 seconds!

I tried turning off the enhanced syntax coloring but that did not work. I simply had to disable Visual Assist X - it's unusable.

I have been using Visual Assist X with this Visual Studio 2003 solution for over a year without problems.

Am I the only one with this problem? Has Whole Tomato moved on to support only Visual Studio 2005 and forgot about us 2003 users?

Please help - it's like being on detox not being able to use the cool features from Visual Assist X.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Feb 15 2006 : 8:18:51 PM
The fix feline mentions might do it for you. Send us your About info and we'll send you a DLL to try.

This particular fix will be part of a build due in a few days.
feline Posted - Feb 14 2006 : 3:04:17 PM
do you know the previous version you were using that was fine? this might give us a clue as to what is going on.

i will email support and see if they can suggest anything. i do not have any experience with VB.NET, so i am not sure what to suggest.

just to run though some basic checks:
* do you have this speed problem in all files in the problem solution?
* if you run task manager, or preferably process explorer http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html which process is using all of the CPU? the obvious guess is the IDE or VA, but since you have no C++ templates it is possible something else is going on
* is the source code for this project local? or is it stored on some server somewhere?
* are you able to try this same solution on a different PC? this is a long shot, but it could make a difference.
ehuna Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 6:44:46 PM
I am using VB.Net. This particular solution is made up of one web service and two additional projects for the middle and data tiers and the OS is Windows 2000 Server.

The performance is ok for a new project. The performance is also ok on another solution on another machine running Windows XP.

What would you suggest I try to fix this problem for the solution on the Windows 2000 Server? For example:

Should I re-install Visual Studio 2003?
Should I uninstall 1440 and go back to whatever version I was using (that was working fine)?
etc...
feline Posted - Feb 13 2006 : 3:47:05 PM
i can assure you that we are still fully behind VS2003.

there have been a couple of recent threads about VA having problems with certain C++ template code. are you using C++ with a lot of templates in your code? a fix for these specific problems will be in the next build, but i am not sure when that is due to be released.

what happens if you create a new standard C++ console project? is performance normal here? if so, is this speed problem linked to your main solution only?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000