Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Cursor disappears in VS6

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ivo Posted - Feb 21 2006 : 4:07:12 PM
Hi

I noticed a problem with Visual Studio 6. It started appearing right after I installed VA X, so maybe it is related. It happens a couple of times per day. Here's what's happening:

I'm editing a file. I press Ctrl+Tab to switch to another file, or Ctrl+~ (which is mapped to OpenCorrespondingHorCPP). The IDE switches to the new document, but the cursor is gone. If I keep typing the characters are added to the old file. If I press Page Up, Page Down, arrow keys, etc. the new window responds to them. If I press Enter the new window gets it, and the cursor appears. Next time it happens I'll try clicking in the window with the mouse first.

Is this a known problem?

Ivo

VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1440.0 built 2006.01.17
Licensed to:
VA X:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.12
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.81.4916.400
WindowsNT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4
Single processor

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\DX90SDK\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDK\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Ie6_lib\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 28 2006 : 3:54:43 PM
VS2003 its self seems to respond "oddly", i have seen some versions of the alt-tab replacement program TaskSwitchXP produce problems as well.

in both cases though i have been using a 3rd party program to switch focus back to the IDE from somewhere else. this could be related to what is going on here, but it is rather a long shot.
jpizzi Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 11:18:22 PM
I have seen it a few times, myself. It was annoying, but either it doesn't happen often enough for me to complain, or I have automatically started allowing for it.

By the way, I am still running 1246 on VS .NET 2003, so it is not new. I do not have ObjectBar, whatever that is.
feline Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 5:02:53 PM
this is starting to remind me of a similar bug i run into with VS2003, which is caused by the external program ObjectBar. for me moving focus into the solution explorer window and back to the text editor fixes this.

next time this happens can you try alt-2 followed by escape. on VC6 here this moves focus into the output window, and then back to the editor.

if this fixes the problem it will suggest you have run into a similar bug, but this still leaves us wanting to know what is causing it.
Ivo Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 4:44:44 PM
It happens very rarely, between 2 times a day and once in a couple of days. I haven't noticed any cosistency in the repros. A screenshot will not help. All you'll see is that the cursor is gone :)

I was wrong in my first post when I said that Enter makes the cursor to appear. What happened is that Enter was sent to the active window (the one without the cursor), but the file was under source control so VSS asked me to check out the file. Later I tried with a writable file and Enter puts a new line in the active window, but doesn't affect the cursor.

Is there anything I can test the next time this happens?
feline Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 4:31:10 PM
thats fairly conclusive. how easily can you reproduce this effect? can you give me a screen shot and a set of steps to try and reproduce it here?

clutching at straws somewhat, but does this happen in more than one project? or is it possible it is project specific?
Ivo Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 12:50:48 PM
No, my code windows are maximized. But I think even in that case the inactive MDI windows are not hidden, they are simply restored and moved behind the active window.
I've never seen this problem with previous versions of VA. I've been using versions 4 and 6 in the past for a long time. It started happening the day I installed the VA X trial.
feline Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 09:43:36 AM
Ivo does this mean you are running VC6 with the code windows non maximised, so you can visibly stack them inside the main window?

are you able to reproduce this problem on demand? any clues as to how or when this happens?
Ivo Posted - Feb 25 2006 : 4:16:33 PM
Some more info:
I had one other addin - Spelly, which I uninstalled. The problem happened again today. Clicking the mouse inside the window showed the cursor.
My guess is the second MDI window moves to the front, but the first window somehow keeps the focus. All commands go to the second window - arrow keys, Pg Up/Down, etc. since they go through the IDE and are forwarded to the top window. All char keys go to the first window directly because it has the focus.
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 3:51:43 PM
lexxmt how reproducible is this for you? it sounds like you can make it happen on demand. if so can you post a screen shot of your screen layout and explain what you are doing? i will then try to reproduce this.
lexxmt Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 08:09:26 AM
Same problem in VS2005. Usualy this happens when I switch from tabs: web browser, sql query after compilation. Also I didn't see "Context and definition fields" line when cursor disapear in case it position set to "Bottom of source windows".
support Posted - Feb 21 2006 : 5:46:49 PM
Do you have any other add-ins installed? If so, try disabling/uninstalling them temporarily to see if you have a conflict.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000