Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Small problem with Disabling VAssist

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mnd Posted - Feb 22 2006 : 07:23:33 AM
Hello,

I'm using the latest build of Visual Assist on Visual Studio 2003 (English).
If I Disable visual assist from the VAssistX -> Enable/Disable menu item, I sill have sources parsed from VAssist, in the status bar I can see the list of file being parsed and I can see the cpu spinning using Process Explorer. To completely disable the Parsing I've to unload the addin trough the visual studio addin manager and restart the IDE.

Do you have any idea on that?

Kindest Regards,

- mn

VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1440.0 built 2006.01.17
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.01.13
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.12
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: ProFontWindows 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\includes;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\architecture;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\cjk;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\colormgmt;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\graphics;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\incopy;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive\\ui;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\layout;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\tables;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\text;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\ui;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\utils;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\workgroup;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\xmedia;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\widgets\\includes;
C:\\build\\main103\\src\\contrib\\jace\\1.1\\release\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mnd Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:32:22 PM
Thanks for your support!

The project is composed by a set of categories, I'll try adding them to the stable include directories and I'll let you know the results.

Kindest regards,

- mn
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:09:22 PM
thats fair. i will ask support about excluding a single project since i don't know of any reliable method.

as a work around is the code for this project in a single directory, or set of directories? if so you could try adding it to the stable include directories list. this should at least cut down on VA reparsing the code. it does reparse the stable includes now and then, but only every week, or every few weeks.
mnd Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:03:09 PM
Hi,

I do agree with you that fixing the problem would be the best solution but I know too well that it may take a lot of time.
I do have a solution with 54 projects and now only one of them is causing me such problems, so I want VA to be disabled (as a temporary solution) only for the files belonging to that project.

However I'll try to create a small test project but it will take some time because right now we have tight deadlines and I don't have time to create it (at least for another week).

Many thanks,

- mn
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 3:36:52 PM
jpizzi experience suggests that VA's disable menu option does not totally disable it, which makes sense in the light of supports comments. i am coming from the point of view of "why install VA if you do not want it do things", hence my question.

mnd, i believe from previous comments by support that there is no way to call VA's parsing engine or to interact with it. can you tell me where to find, or how to produce a small test project that reproduces the CPU spin problem? i am working on the theory that the best way forward here is to fix the parsing problem so that you can just keep VA enabled all the time.
mnd Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 03:18:13 AM
Since I still have parsing problem (cpu spinning to 10%% for one minute) with another library (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jace/) it would be wonderful if I can disable parsing without restarting the ide. Why don't add that option maybe available trough the object model so we can write our own macros that enable / disable the parsing based on the file we are opening.

That's one of the reasons I was asking some time ago to have VAssist skip some include folders...

Thanks for you help.

- mn

P.S.

The jace library is a library tha let you access to java objects trough JNI.
support Posted - Feb 22 2006 : 10:53:11 PM
Disable might be too strong a word. The command really asks VA X to stop intercepting commands and the let normal UI appear for a while. VA X still does some work in the background.

The only way to make an add-in, VA X included, completely idle is to unload it via the IDE.
jpizzi Posted - Feb 22 2006 : 8:15:09 PM
You're kidding, right? If I disable an add-in, I expect it to perform no work and consume no resources. Otherwise, it is not really disabled, is it?
feline Posted - Feb 22 2006 : 3:00:35 PM
why is this a problem? if you ever want to re-enable VA then it needs to have parsed your code.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000