Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Empty code-suggestion boxes VC++2005

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wathiant Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 04:22:35 AM
Hi, I've been using Visual Assist with VC++6 and it worked fine there, but 2 months ago we upgraded to VC++ 2005. I first installed VC++ 2005 Express. VAX worked fine for a few minutes after each startup, but then it would start to show empty code completion boxes (of the correct size, but without any contents).
I figured that this was due to the older version of VAX and the new VC++ 2005 Express.

However, after the upgrade to the full version of VC++2005 and the latest (1440) version of VAX, the problem persists. After a few minutes, usually after I have been reading something on my 2nd screen, an empty code completion box has popped up out of nowhere. From that moment on, all code completion boxes are of the correct size (they resize as I type more), but they contain no text at all.

I already tried disabling intellisense by renaming the feacp.dll to _feacp.dll, but that didn't help either.

I am wondering if this could be caused by lingering dlls of the VC++ 2005 Express installation. I really don't want to reinstall my VC++ as you can understand (it takes a lot of time). Is there anything else I can try before I do that?

PS: The behaviour occurs in all my projects, including new console projects, empty projects, etc.

Here's the VAX info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1440.0 built 2006.01.17
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.12
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 28 2006 : 4:01:29 PM
*ouch* reinstalling VS is not fast. it might be worth trying a new default project to see if you get suggestions as normal there. this should not make any difference, but i don't recall a problem like this before either.
wathiant Posted - Feb 28 2006 : 03:22:57 AM
I have no other addins to VS2005 installed and all software on my system is legal, either licensed or open source.
I did notice that after some time the problem disappears for a short while before appearing again.

When I have some time for it, I will try to reinstall VS2005 and VA X.
feline Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 4:56:50 PM
do you have any other addin's installed? any "odd" system utilities or programs installed that could be having an effect?

do you see the same problem in a new default project?

we had a thread recently where someone found that having a hacked dll to allow them to run different winXP styles caused problems with VA, so it is possible some unrelated process on your system is involved.
wathiant Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 09:28:57 AM
And again, this time in a few minutes. The strange thing is that the auto-completion after pressing Enter still works, so if I type F <Enter> I get false, but the selection box has no items (so no items can be selected either).
wathiant Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 09:23:08 AM
It took a few hours, but I had the same problem again this afternoon. I will try to turn off syntax coloring now, to see if that might fix things.
wathiant Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 07:43:19 AM
Thanks,

I uninstalled VA X, removed the Visual Assist folder from Program Files and then reinstalled VA X.

It seems to work correctly now, I haven't noticed any strange behaviour this whole morning.
support Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 5:49:02 PM
We recommend feline's suggestion to reinstall VA X.

Another shot-in-the-dark is to disable syntax coloring in the VA X options dialog.
wathiant Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 03:10:02 AM
Hmmm, Maybe I mistook the improved intellisense in VS 2005 Express for a not fully functional VA. But the problems with the full version still remain...
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 3:39:35 PM
there is something odd going on here. due to limitations Microsoft themselves introduced VA cannot work with VS2005 Express, so you should not have seen anything at all.

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling VA? i don't know what else to suggest to be honest, short of reinstalling the IDE. i will ask support, to see if they have any ideas.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000