Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Problem with the paste menu

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ivo Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 2:12:01 PM
Hi, I have a custom add-in for VS 2003 using that DTE automation. It issues "Edit.Copy" and "Edit.Cut" commands with the following code:

CComPtr<EnvDTE::Commands> pCommands;
	m_pDTE->get_Commands(&pCommands);
	VARIANT str;
	memset(&str,0,sizeof(str));
	str.vt=VT_BSTR;
	str.bstrVal=_com_util::ConvertStringToBSTR("Edit.Copy");
	CComPtr<Command> cmd;
	HRESULT r=pCommands->Item(str,0,&cmd);
	SysFreeString(str.bstrVal);
	if (r==S_OK) {
		BSTR guid;
		cmd->get_Guid(&guid);
		long id;
		cmd->get_ID(&id);
		VARIANT vin,vout;
		memset(&vin,0,sizeof(vin));
		memset(&vout,0,sizeof(vout));
		pCommands->Raise(guid,id,&vin,&vout);
		SysFreeString(guid);
	}

The problem is that the text being copied is not added to the Ctrl+Shift+V paste menu. What am I doing wrong? Note: It is added to the native Ctrl+Shift+V clipboard ring, just doesn't work with Visual Assist's replacement.

Can someone help?

Thanks
Ivo
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ivo Posted - Feb 28 2006 : 01:26:11 AM
Well, Craig Skibo from the VS team suggested a much simple solution:
m_pDTE->ExecuteCommand(CComBSTR("Edit.Copy"),CComBSTR(""));
The new code works much better with Visual Assist. Serves me right for not reading the MSDN first... :)
support Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 2:00:26 PM
VA X is intercepting the copy before Edit.Copy is run. Unfortunately, you can't prod VA X into adding code to its clipboard ring.
Ivo Posted - Feb 25 2006 : 4:48:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to access the edit menu and trigger a command from it, at least not in a documented and robust way. The menus are user-editable and the command may not even be there.
I posted a question to the MSDN extensibility forum. Hopefully they'll tell me there is a better way of executing an IDE command than the way I'm doing it. BTW, here's the full source of my addin: http://www.codeproject.com/macro/VSHelper.asp
feline Posted - Feb 25 2006 : 4:28:03 PM
i am somewhat out of my area here, but is it possible to trigger the edit menu followed by the copy command from your addin? a bit more long winded, but if this both works and is correctly picked up by VA then perhaps you can move forward from here in stages.
Ivo Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:17:07 PM
No, my addin doesn't do anything to intercept the copy/cut events (intentionally :)). The code above is executed from another command (Ctrl+Shift+C). If I use the regular Ctrl+C and Ctrl+X the text goes to VA, no problem. I'm trying to invoke the regular Edit.Copy from my addin, and I want VA to add the text to the paste menu, just like when I invoke the command with a Ctrl+C shortcut.
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:00:22 PM
at a wild guess the copy and cut events are going to your addin, and VA does not know about them. i will ask support about this, since there is nothing i can personally suggest.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000