Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Autotext can't find tpl files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lnizor Posted - Mar 02 2006 : 05:07:35 AM
Problem:

VA can't find Autotext files:
When going to VA Options/Text Editor/Autotext and clicking 'Edit Autotext', then clicking 'OK' in the Autotext window (it doesn't matter if you type any code or not), I get repeated messages: "File \\Autotext\\xxx.cpl not found." for every tpl file (e.g.: one message for each cpp.tpl, cs.tpl, etc).

The .tpl files are there in the installation directory, in my case in: c:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\Autotext.

I am running the latest build.
I am using Visual Studio.NET, English.
Here is the VA Info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1440.0 built 2006.01.17
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.02.24
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.12
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
4 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;
D:\\ALRDocs\\Dev\\Tools\\WTL71\\include;
D:\\ALRDocs\\Dev\\Tools\\WTLCustomExtensions;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Thanks,
Larisa

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 6:02:59 PM
Thank you for posting the solution.
lnizor Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 5:50:46 PM
Both problems solved - the setup problem AND the autotext problem.

The reason for both problems was that I renamed the installation file (original name was VA_X_Setup1440; I renamed it to VisualAssistX10_2_1440). I can't tell you what exactly pointed me in that direction (I was running Filemon and Regmon, and there was nothing really useful in their logs), but I thought to rename the file back to what it was. As soon as I did that, installation finished successfully and 'Edit Autotext' is now also working.

I don't know much about setup programs (MSI, InstallShield, etc), but if it's possible, it would be nice if VAX didn't hard code the name of the setup executable.

Thanks again for your support - even though I solved it myself, I probably wouldn't have done so without your replies.
Larisa
feline Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 3:10:29 PM
so it is possible the problem is related to resetting / updating your IDE. do you have any other extensions installed in the IDE? are you aware of any features in the IDE that you cannot use due to lack of permissions? do you know if the IDE was originally installed under a different user account?

the only other thing i can suggest off hand is to run both filemon and regmon for the duration of the VA install, and see what they report just before the crash, to see if there are permission problems or unexpected failures that could be related.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
lnizor Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 08:29:43 AM
I have disabled anti-spyware and tried reinstalling, and still got the usual: 'The instruction at "0x....." referenced memory at "0x.....". The memory could not be "read"'.

Just for info, my anti-virus 'auto-protect' is always disabled, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

The crash always happens after VAX setup asks questions about installing the toolbar and reseting toolbars/key bindings in Visual Studio.

I have checked the attributes of the tpl files. I had 'full-control' permissions set on the tpl files, but not on the folder itself. So, I set 'full-control' on the folder also, just in case.

No change in VAX behavior.

Thanks,
Larisa
support Posted - Mar 06 2006 : 10:14:26 PM
Our preference is to fix the installation first.

Can you disable your anti-spyware and reinstall? Despite it being updated, perhaps it still have as an issue with our installer.

Can you check the attributes of your tpl files within the Autotext subdirectory? You should have write permission to them -- something normally set at installation time.
lnizor Posted - Mar 06 2006 : 4:58:17 PM
I did try closing all programs when installing VAX.

I will be waiting for suggestions from support.

Thanks,
Larisa
feline Posted - Mar 06 2006 : 4:44:40 PM
i will ask support to have a look at this, to see if they can suggest anything.

i would say just re-use this thread, i suspect the install problem is related to this problem, since neither of them is familiar.

have you tried closing down other running programs when you install VA? i presume so, but it is sensible to ask. under some conditions Microsoft Excel 2000 will be detected by the VA installer as a copy of the IDE. this is not directly relevant, but it is an example of how apparently disconnected programs can have an effect.

with regard to the autotext files, the ones in the autotext directory are the live ones.
"Latest" holds a copy of the latest copies from the installer, this is done so you can see the latest versions shipped, without having your own custom edits over written.

"Saved" holds a copy of your current version, copied over when you install, this is so that you have a copy of your local edits if you tell the installer to update the autotext files.
lnizor Posted - Mar 04 2006 : 4:00:18 PM
I am an administrator on my machine.

I do not have system level debugger installed.

I am running Microsoft anti-spyware, but it's set to auto-apdate and should be a fairly recent version.

Also, I never actually uninstalled VAX using 'Add/Remove Programs' because it does not appear in my 'Add/Remove Programs' probably because it is added there in the last stage of setup - which fails. The way I "uninstall" it is by unselecting it in Visual Studio Addin Manager, deleting VAX folder, and manually removing all the registry entries that I could find.

So, what should I do now? Should I try to investigate the installation problem first? In this topic? Or should I start another one for that?

Another question:
As a temporary solution, I can try copying the autotext files to the location where 'Edit Autotext' is looking for them, edit them, and then copy them back. There are 3 location for .tpl files in VAX installation directory: 'Autotext' directory and two subdirectories under it: 'Latest' and 'Saved'. In which one of those does VAX look for .tpl files when showing autotext during editing?

Thanks,
Larisa

feline Posted - Mar 04 2006 : 10:10:52 AM
loading VS2003 i am also getting the two lines:

devenv.exe:4320 QUERY INFORMATION C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\Autotext\\vassistnet.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:4320 QUERY INFORMATION C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\Autotext\\vassistnet.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error

i am not sure why, but i think we can ignore these.

it is certainly possible that the failure to install cleanly is related to this problem. are you an administrator on your machine? or are you logging in as an administrator when you install?

do you have a system level debugger installed / running, e.g. softice?

are you running Microsoft anti-spyware, or any similar program? i have seen reports of a problem when uninstalling because some old versions of Microsoft anti-spyware get excited, so it is possible you are encountering a similar problem.
lnizor Posted - Mar 03 2006 : 06:31:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

Here is the result of FileMon run:

--------------
devenv.exe:2696 OPEN C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\autotext\\cpp.tpl SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
devenv.exe:2696 OPEN C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\autotext\\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
devenv.exe:2696 DIRECTORY C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\autotext\\ SUCCESS FileDirectoryInformation: cpp.tpl
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\autotext\\cpp.tpl SUCCESS Attributes: A
devenv.exe:2696 CLOSE C:\\program files\\visual assist x\\autotext\\cpp.tpl SUCCESS
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\cpp.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\cs.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\html.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\java.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\js.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\perl.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\txt.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\vb.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\cpp.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\cs.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\html.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\java.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\js.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\perl.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\txt.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
devenv.exe:2696 QUERY INFORMATION D:\\Autotext\\vb.tpl PATH NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
------------------

When I am within Visual Studio, VAX looks for autotext files in the correct location (I get multiple successful autotext entries in FileMon and I do get autotext dropdowns when editing).

But when I go to 'Edit Autotext' dialog, it looks for autotext in D:\\Autotext and, of course, the files are not there. ??? There are two unsuccessful QUERY INFORMATION attempts for each .tpl file - one when I open 'Edit Autotext' dialog, and one when I click 'OK' in the dialog.

Also, when I just open Visual Studio, I get the following:
-------
-------
vassistnet.dll is not in 'Autotext' directory - it's in 'Visual Assist X directory'. Why does VAX look for files in the wrong places?

Another piece of information: my installation of VAX never finished successfuly - I have tried reinstalling it several times, and I always get illegal memory access almost at the end of installation and VAX setup quits. But after that, it seems to work fine (almost).

Thank you,
Larisa

feline Posted - Mar 02 2006 : 6:35:13 PM
first guess is some form of permissions problem. can you download and run filemon:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

i set the filter to show only file activities including the word "autotext" and then loaded the autotext editor via VA options. filemon reported the various file actions.

hopefully the result will give us a clue.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000