Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Build 1442 available

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
support Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 6:53:39 PM
Build 1442 includes a major performance improvement for users of templates, and numerous minor fixes.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1442.exe

Fixes described at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.html

Reset of IDEs not necessary.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 7:12:48 PM
i have replied in the other thread, to try and keep this thread vaguely on topic.
bberry27 Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 6:46:04 PM
[q] see the first post in this thread[/q]

That was my post :)

Seriously, I have experimented with completely disabling Intellisense using every conceivable method and it is most definitely VA that is responsible for the sluggishness.

Here's a couple of key data points:
* VS: Good Performance
* VS+IS: Periodic sluggishiness.
* VS+VA+IS: Frequent and severe sluggishness.
* VS+VA: Frequent and severe sluggishness.
* VS+IS2: Good Performance.
* VS+VA+IS2: Frequent and severe sluggishness.

(Legend:
IS = Intellisense
IS2 = Fixed Intellisense DLLs from Microsoft)
VA = Visual Assist
VS = Visual Studio 2005)

The only common factor for "Frequent and severe sluggishness" is Visual Assist.

I say "severe" in that it is unacceptable, but is still better than what I experienced in 1440 which was horrific. The way I have to work now is that when the IDE gets really slow (and I'm noticing it's still pretty bad today with 1442) I hit Alt-A + E to turn off visual assist and immediately the performance is back to normal.
feline Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 3:40:20 PM
see the first post in this thread

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4424

i can assure you that VS2005 with a reasonable amount of C++ code will bring your machine to its knees without VA *sigh* i have had to stop the IDE's intellisense running in order to keep my IDE operational.

the question becomes, is this the problem you have run into? can you try creating the read only zero length ncb file as described in the other thread while the IDE is closed and see if this fixes your speed issues? if so then it is almost certainly VS2005 its self causing these problems, and not VA.
support Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 2:00:33 PM
Our immediate plans are for a big performance improvement to initial project parsing and subseqent loading of projects. You will see the changes in our next beta build -- we won't drop them into a general release just yet.

If your text editor is sluggish, you might be experiencing some other problems. There are some real issues with performance of VS2005 and its collecting of data for Intellisense. We are aware MS is preparing an update. (Discussed in another thread???)

Check your task manager for a spinning IDE, or try to isolate behavior or files that prompt sluggishness. Open a new thread in our forums with any specifics you collect.
bberry27 Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 1:36:30 PM

So far I've found 1442 in VS2005 to definitely fix the worst performance issues in 1440 (grinding the IDE to a crawl), but it's still very slow compared to previous versions of VA on VS2003. A sluggish text editor is just not acceptable. Are there plans for further performance improvements in the near future? I regrettably may still have to work without VAX until then.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000