Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Editing AutoText

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh.kendall Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 7:14:09 PM
When editing autotext using a text editor, what character is required to separate templates? I can get it to work if I copy/paste the existing character, but can't figure out what it is for the life of me. Are the "specs" for autotext in the docs somewhere? I know the $reserved$ words are, but didn't see anything about a specific format that VA expects.

TIA,
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darren Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 7:32:47 PM
Leigh,
I'm glad you like the new Autotext editor. Thanks for your kind comments.
Darren
support Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 1:10:54 PM
No such shortcut.
leigh.kendall Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 12:54:22 PM
That's pretty much what I do now. It's nice that it's more context-aware (1242) than previous builds.

Still no way to "just open" the editor though, huh? Without being in code?
support Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 09:01:14 AM
A convenient way to get to the Autotext editor is to type "if", which is a shortcut, then hover over the suggested autotext and click the "Edit Autotext..." icon that appears. Start with a different shortcut if you know that's the one you want to edit.
leigh.kendall Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 08:16:26 AM
Darren -

Yes, I just recently renewed support and was using 1440, and just upgraded to 1442 last night. What's funny is the "new" edit/autotext feature where it edit/opens to the in context template was one I was just wondering why 1440 didn't work that way! So nice work!

BTW, any way to directly open the Edit Autotext window w/one click from anywhere? I know I can Shift+Rclick edit autotext, but I couldn't find a way to a toolbar shortcut or keyshortcut.

I'll stick w/using the built-in editor for autotext. It's much nicer for creating/organinzing than the build I was using most recently which was 1289 or so. Great work!

Darren Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 9:10:17 PM
Leigh,
My comments assume that you're using a recent version of VA X, like 1440. We prefer the .tpl files to be edited via the "new and improved" template editor. The reason for this is so that users do not have to remember the "spec" of the autotext format. It also protects the autotext system because if you accidentally put in a wrong character in the wrong place, when editing manually via notepad, you could cause the autotext templates to not parse properly. This could confuse VA X and manifest itself in ways that may be difficult to troubleshoot. My advise is to download the latest build, if you're not running it already, and try and use the template editor found in the Visual Assist X Options dialog->Text Editor->Autotext area.

If you have problems with the Autotext editor please let me know.

Thanks,
Darren
support Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 8:19:49 PM
What build of VA X do you have?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000