Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Non-english chars replaced by 'surround on * /'

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
beef Posted - Mar 14 2006 : 10:13:59 AM
I've just dowloaded the newest build 1444 (seems to be an unofficial one). When I press / or * with 'surronding' option active, all non-english characters (in comments or strings) are replaced with some strange symbols. Unfortunatelly, I do not have access to any FTP server by now to place screen-shots, I will try to do this later at home.

VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1444.0 built 2006.03.12
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (5-user license) Support ends 2006.07.20
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.15
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Dodatek Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
d:\\!work\\Boost\\include\\boost-1_32;
d:\\!work\\occ\\inc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vik Posted - Sep 19 2006 : 12:13:32 AM
I'm not using polish characters in variables, that was just an example. I'm using them only in macros, and unfortunatly they are upper case. But You're right, this is some kind of solution.

Edit:

I just don't get it at all. Accidentally I discovered another information.

I have situation like that:

When I'm selecting first option here's what it shows:

And here's result of selecting second option:

I really don't have a clue what may be a reason for this strange behaviour, but maybe this information helps You to figure it out.
feline Posted - Sep 17 2006 : 11:27:15 AM
i have updated the case with this information. this seems odd, but may help if most of your variables are lower case.
vik Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 9:48:40 PM
Thanks for Your effort!

Edited:

That's odd. Autotext feature can handle lowercase polish characters.

feline Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 7:09:19 PM
the colouring being wrong is:

case=2366

i have also raised a case for seeing the Polish characters turned back into English characters in the suggestion:

case=2367

i am hoping that fixing this will also fix your problem, where the text is suggested correctly, but entered wrongly. so far i still cannot reproduce this.
vik Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 6:12:14 PM
Mine is not coloured too:
feline Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 4:26:42 PM
jpizzi you probably have to install / enable the Polish keyboard on your system before you can reproduce this. i have been here before, and have found that some languages (Polish included) are only available in winXP, not in win2k.

once you talk winXP into letting you use the Polish keyboard you can use ALT-GR to access some of these letters. with caps lock turned on the L with the bar on it can be typed with ALT-GR + L

i am seeing some problems here, but so far i cannot reproduce what you are getting vik. the closest i can get so far is this:

is your #define with the polish letters in it coloured as a #define? as shown here mine is not. however i am using an English winXP with an English VS2005 for this test, which may be important.
vik Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 1:26:31 PM
Then I shoult give You correspondent Unicode values for these characters? Again I don't know if this helps, but here they are, right from Start->Programs->Accessories->Character Map:
jrynd Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 09:30:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by beef

A temporary solution may be: type ALT+0185 (on the keypad), you should see the character '#261;' (and the question for 1000 point - what do you see on the screen now? :) ). It is a unicode number, so should work everywhere (of course, if it is defined in the font you are using).

The way I enter Unicode characters is by holding down Alt and then pressing the plus key on the numeric keypad followed by the hexadecimal value, then releasing Alt. It is completely locale independent.

The "alt, zero, decimal digits" method gives you a character from the Windows code page (or unicode if it's high enough), and the "alt, decimal digits" gives you a character from the current OEM code page (DOS-like). Both of these depend on your locale.

Also, some applications are smart enough to realize that the character you've selected isn't in the current font, and temporarily change the font for that one character so it can be displayed.

http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm
http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xComputers/CharacterSets/Shortcuts.htm
vik Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 02:03:56 AM
I think the localization of Your OS and default encoding may be the case. I have polish Windows XP SP2, so I'm just hit ALT + e or ALT + 169 and I see 'e' with something below it.

I'm not sure if this help You in resolving my problem, but maybe try something like that:
1. Open Visual Studio
2. Select File->Open->File
3. Download http://rapidshare.de/files/31515931/polish_characters.txt.html file and then select it in Open File dialog
4. Click the arrow on the right of Open button and select Open With
5. Choose C++ Source Code Editor (with encoding) and click OK
6. Choose Central European (Windows) - Codepage 1250 and click OK
7. You should see something like this:
jpizzi Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 01:00:05 AM
Actually, I found the L with stroke. I tried adding it to my code file. I couldn't get it in the file, even after changing the file encoding to Unicode. I even disabled VAX and couldn't get it in the code file.

If you disable VAX (and type the characters in manually), can you get the text of your macro into a code file? If so, how? Please give me steps so that I can see it work, so that I can verify that it is fixed after they address the issue.
jpizzi Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 12:42:44 AM
If you will give me the keystrokes to create (type) your autotext entry, I will see if it happens for me (probably). Then, I can enter a case.
vik Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 12:34:03 AM
I forgot to provide these informations, sorry. I have VAX Build 1533 and Visual Studio 2005.

All of my screenshots comes from one file, so answer to Your question is no. Even when I use "Visual Assist X Options->Text Editor->Autotext->Edit Autotext" and paste problematic text there it still does not work.
jpizzi Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 11:21:28 PM
What version of VAX and which IDE?

Is it possible that the file you are editing has a different encoding than is used in the autotext (I don't know which one that is)?
vik Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 7:38:33 PM
First of all, sorry for my poor english. I will use images to show You what I mean.

I don't want to start a new topic cause my problem is very similar to this one beef posted.

I have a macro with polish characters in it:

I'm typing first two characters... then I'm trying to use Autotext feature to complete this macro:

Here's unexpected result of this operation:
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 5:44:02 PM
Fixed in build 1524:

Surround commands support Unicode characters. (case=1071)
feline Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 5:33:31 PM
one machine build and install later, i am seeing the same thing.

case=1071
beef Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 09:40:40 AM
Oops :\\ Good luck with xp battle.
My os is WinXP SP2. I've sent you the file you requested.
feline Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 6:20:22 PM
*sigh* the winXP upgrade broke the machine, i am going to have to setup a new test system, so it will be a day or two before i can get back to you on this one.

which OS are you using?
beef Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 6:17:38 PM
Ok. Btw: notice, that 'superscript number one' is the sybmbol the 'polish a' was turned into after using 'surround on' (in my example). This may be the another indication of using a wrong locale during string processing in VAX internals.
feline Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 3:56:29 PM
Alt + 0185
this gives me a superscript number 1 on my main machine. it should simply be a case of installing Polish as a locale on a test system, and this should work.

*goes and tries*

it turns out that Polish is not offered under win2k, only under winXP. i will get back to you in a few hours, once i have upgraded a test machine to winXP.
beef Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 3:42:09 PM
Ugh, as averyone can see (me too :), the forum cuts out non-ascii characters. I put it this way: you should see 'the letter "a" with some strange something below".
beef Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 3:39:06 PM
feline: thanks, I will do it tommorow at work. The problem is, that there is the possibility, that you will see garbage instead of polish characters just after opening my file, because of different locale and font settings... Well, we'll see. A temporary solution may be: type ALT+0185 (on the keypad), you should see the character '#261;' (and the question for 1000 point - what do you see on the screen now? :) ). It is a unicode number, so should work everywhere (of course, if it is defined in the font you are using).
Cezariusz: The font settings are ok, I can see polish characters with no problems BEFORE I use the 'surround' option. Additionally, I almost sure, that before build 1442/1444 everything was ok.
Cezariusz Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 02:12:50 AM
beef, maybe you have a different font for strings and comments, which do not support Polish characters. Check your IDE options.
feline Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 5:51:45 PM
beef i have just emailed you via the forum. can you reply to that email with the source file you used here attached? i would not know where to start trying to enter Polish characters into a file, so the file gets me started. if that is not enough i will work through setting up the locale in a test system.
beef Posted - Mar 20 2006 : 05:02:36 AM
It happens all the time. I've create empty c++ win32 console project using vc2003, and add one line with polish characters in _tmain. On my machine it looks exactly like this:

After selecting the line with 'cout' and pressing '/' on the keyboard, the result is just like in my previous post. The problem you may encounter trying to reproduce this, is that my os is localized (polish) and default character set is 'eastern european'. I suspect, that there is probably a wrong locale used for tranforming non-comented text into commented one.
rhummer Posted - Mar 19 2006 : 6:30:20 PM
I am unable to reproduce this using both .NET 2003 and .NET 2005. Does this happen all the time or is it random? Do you have any code example you could post that you know reproduces the issue you are having?
beef Posted - Mar 15 2006 : 02:53:19 AM
You are right! I forgot about this posibility :) Ok, this is how it looks:
before

and after

I hope it is clear now.
Sasa Posted - Mar 14 2006 : 6:40:01 PM
quote:
Unfortunatelly, I do not have access to any FTP server by now to place screen-shots

Try http://www.imageshack.us/

That is what I use to host the pictures.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000