Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 FSIW delays in VS 6

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jpizzi Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 12:57:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by stephen@above-the-garage.

Perhaps it's just VC 6, but when I type in the FSIW dialog it pauses after every character I type. This is annoying. It doesn't appear to be doing any work - just pausing. It seems to pause almost a second. My build is 1442 on VC 6 SP 6.

I was just trying this out in VS 6 with 1444, and I don't see the issue. Is your project very large?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 27 2006 : 2:18:22 PM
the 15xx builds, when they come out on beta, show the total number of lines in the OFIW and FSIW dialogs, along with the number of visible (filtered) lines. if you can wait for a bit these numbers will give us an actual count for the size of the list, which will help to put the responsiveness in perspective.
stephen@above-the-garage. Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 5:32:58 PM
I think you are right! I thought they were implemented the same but perhaps not. Thanks!

(Although speeding up the dialog would be nice ...)
sean Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 5:19:27 PM
Stephen, it sounds like you might be using the symbol list in the VA View pane - not the FSIW dlg (Ctrl+Alt+S). If so, try the FSIW instead.
feline Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 4:20:05 PM
*considers* filtering in FSIW and OFIW was changed recently. on long lists you have to stop typing for a specific period of time before any filtering will happen.

this is to eliminate the problem that you cannot actually type due to the dialog being so busy filtering the list for the last two letters.

does this description sound like what you are seeing?
stephen@above-the-garage. Posted - Mar 23 2006 : 12:18:31 PM
[Edited]My workspace has 174,000 lines of code, with very few comments.

Also, sorry I actually have 1444 not 1442.

Also, I ran Process Explorer while typing and the CPU goes way up, so I guess it is searching after each keystroke, but not updating the dialog.

I believe the intended behavior is to wait until I stop typing, but that is not happening, at least for me. I can enter a symbol, say, "rank" nearly instantaneously on the keyboard, and each character laboriously shows up one at a time.

Thanks!

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000