Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Problem with parenthesis

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jeoffh Posted - Apr 06 2006 : 10:22:47 PM
I have done something bad to VA X and I cannot figure out how to undo it. I was not happy with the way VA was closing my left paren with a right paren automatically (I would rather it be less obtrusive in this regards if possible) so I went into the autotext options and found an entry called "(...)" and deleted it. After that I did not get any parameter information when I did a left-paren after typing a function. Well, I decided that I would rather have the parameters and I will just have to get used to the auto-right-paren thing but when I try to add the old (...) autotext back (from memory) it didn't give me my parameters back. So, I uninstalled VA X and re-installed it (build 1444) and now when I type a left-paren nothing at all happens, I don't even get a left parenthesis! I have to copy and paste the left paren just to write code (well, I just turn off VA X and then I can still code in plain-old VS 2005).

Suggestions?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 6:19:35 PM
for future reference when you install a new build of VA it backs up your current autotext entries to:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\Autotext\\Saved

and puts the latest ones in:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\Autotext\\Latest

so you should be able to recover something from one directory or the other.

as for hooking into the IDE i suspect it is a deep and mysterious process. simply thinking about how the easy bits might work can be quite confusing

if you can reproduce the text going to the wrong file can you post some details of how and when this happens? that should not be happening, and could cause problems.
jeoffh Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 07:58:38 AM
Yes, that seems to have fixed my problem. It got even curiouser last night as I was tinkering around. As I said, when I typed the left-paren nothing would show up in the editor but I noticed later that the file "under" the current tab was getting the parenthesis (and a few characters afterwards) instead! I have no idea how deep the hooks for VA X must go into Visual Studio, but they must be deeper and funkier than I would have first guessed.

Thank you for your help Mr. Pizzi!
jpizzi Posted - Apr 06 2006 : 11:47:15 PM
The entry I find in mine for (...) under C# is:

($selected$)

Let me know if this does not restore the behavior.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000