Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bizzare hardlock in only one file.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gunvulture Posted - May 14 2006 : 6:11:13 PM
When using VAX 1445, Visual Studio 2k3 will hardlock, but only in one certain file. However it will hardlock inevitably withing 10 minutes or so, often within 2 or 3 minutes. It only ever occurs when I'm editing code in one specific file, and if I disable VAX, the locks disappear. There isn't anything uber-fancy going on in the source file; it is a basic c++ file, very light template use, compiles fine. I have no idea what the deal is. I can minimize and restore VS, otherwise all I can do is rightclick->close and "End Now".

The project has many many other files, and I can edit those files with impunity.

I'm going to try and rename the file and see if that affects it. I will report back...
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - May 17 2006 : 08:31:02 AM
FWIW, Rebuild implies clear history, et al.
feline Posted - May 16 2006 : 5:55:29 PM
i have some code that uses friend classes much like this example and have never had a problem with it, not that this actually proves anything.

gunvulture can you try:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases
VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Clear history, cache and temporary files

and see if this helps? it sounds like this was the solution for rhummer
gunvulture Posted - May 16 2006 : 5:53:08 PM
When I get home I can check out the things you suggest. If necessary I can send you the file, since it is a side project.
rhummer Posted - May 16 2006 : 10:13:51 AM
Well I cleared out the VA X DB files so it would reparse everything on restart, and that seems to have fixed teh issue. Maybe the DB became corrupt somehow. I was able to toallly isolate the issue but I opened a header that was included in the file and it forced the lock up too.. Which their was nothing special. It has three classes in the file. One class has the two others as friends, and the first class as the 2nd class as a friend. Possibly it was getting confused with friend classes?

ie:

class A
{
    friend class B;
};

class B
{
    friend class C;
    friend class A;
    list<A*> aList;
};

class C
{
   list<B*> classBList
}
rhummer Posted - May 15 2006 : 8:12:20 PM
Thats what I was thinking before I had to leave for the day. I'll check again in the morning.
sean Posted - May 15 2006 : 8:10:55 PM
Remove your #includes first to rule out a header file.
rhummer Posted - May 15 2006 : 7:17:25 PM
feline: I'm currently trying to widdle down the file.

SOme info..its nothing too fancy.. Just some win32 windowing stuff for a Tool we use.

The lock up occurs meer seconds after opening the file so I don't have time to tell vax to reparse it.

I've gone through and commented out the meat of all the methods so they are pretty much stubs that won't compile and it still occurs..

My IDE just sits there at ~50% CPU chewing away at memory.

I'll post with more info when I have it.
feline Posted - May 15 2006 : 6:35:47 PM
is anyone able to share such a file with me? i can have a go and see if i can reproduce the problem. if you simply sit in a problem file and trigger:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

does this cause the IDE to lock up? if so this would make it a lot faster and easier to trim the file down. still not fun due to all of the lockup's, but faster.
rhummer Posted - May 14 2006 : 10:01:25 PM
Try commenting out blocks of code and see if you can isolate it to one block of code. I'm having the same issue with a file but haven't tried to isolate the problem yet.
gunvulture Posted - May 14 2006 : 6:18:33 PM
Renaming the file has no effect.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000