Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Double Tooltips while debugging

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mtpudelko Posted - May 15 2006 : 9:46:38 PM
Similar (I think) to this previous post http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4248&SearchTerms=tooltip, perhaps it has always been this way, but suddenly I am noticing double tooltips where VA appears to be stepping over VC6's IDE-generated tooltips. When hovering over a variable while stopped in the debugger, VA will pop up a tooltip containing the variable's declaration directly over the IDE's own tooltip which contains the variable's current value.

Perhaps I never noticed this before because usually I have the debugger running in a second or third monitor, and the IDE's own tooltips always pop up on the first monitor (annoying too...but of course not VA's fault). It would be really helpful if VA could find a way to pop up its own tooltip vertically below or horizontally next to the IDE's own tooltip. VC's own tip seems to popup a few milliseconds after VA's, so in this case, VA would need to slow down it's own just long enough to see if VC has popped one up in the near vicinity. I am on the most recent build 1445.

Regards,
Mike
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mtpudelko Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 7:53:13 PM
Thanks to all of you for helping replicate and fix this annoying bug. 1530's working great!
Regards,
Mike
khb Posted - Jul 10 2006 : 02:36:37 AM
Great, works perfectly! Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Jul 09 2006 : 1:37:31 PM
Fixed some more in 1530.

(Problem was occurring only when sources windows were not maximized, and only in VC++ 6.0.)
khb Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 02:56:13 AM
I'm glad that you can reproduce the problem. I thank you for keeping at this issue.

Regards,
Marcus.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 01:56:48 AM
Got the settings. Obviously, they weren't part of the issue (since support can repro the case now). I can repro the case with your instructions. Thank you for the easy, concise, way to demonstrate the issue.
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 3:45:54 PM
We can reproduce the problem using 1524 so we re-opened...

case=1235
khb Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 03:02:14 AM
Just installed build 1524. The bug is also still there for me. However, now the two tooltips overlap less, but the value tooltip is still behind the declaration tooltip. And what's also different is that the tooltips now always appear left-aligned to each other. How I can simply reproduce the bug: Create new MFC application with wizzard, select dialog-based application, leave everything else unchanged. Set breakpoint on "return TRUE" in OnInitDialog, start program in debug mode. Move mouse to variables in OnInitDialog and notice the double tooltips.

Joe, I'll send you an export of my VA settings.

Regards,
Marcus.
ajtruckle Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 01:45:56 AM
There are apps about that capture all trace debug output etc....

But I was thinking more along the lines of you actully running theor pc. then you can test things better.

it could be a ms update issue because it never happened to me before. but it does now.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 01:26:42 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the closest we can come is having you obtain a logfile for us. I am not sure, however, how much that would help in this situation. I'll have to ask the developers their opinion.

Besides that, I am not too sure how you might debug a debugger, which is what we would have to be doing to exercise this problem and diagnose it. I bet the developers know, however.
ajtruckle Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 01:16:13 AM
Is it not possible for an individual to grant you remote access to their pc for a short while so that you can remoteley debug? or offer them a debug build that gives some output or something?
jpizzi Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 11:43:49 PM
I was afraid of this. Since we were only able to reproduce it in a specific case (and intermittently, at that), our fix was apparently not encompassing enough for the issue that you are actually seeing. Is it possible to come up with a project that demonstrates this that you can send to one of us?

Another question: Do you see this on a machine with only one video adaptor and one monitor? It is hard to believe that VA would behave differently because of this, but with the hoops we have to jump through to get all this working, I wouldn't rule it out.

Mike: The consistency with which it happens for you seems to indicate that you have a setting different than I do. Would it be possible for you to export your settings and e-mail them to me through the forum? Or anyone else, who is seeing this all the time?
mtpudelko Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 1:30:01 PM
Sean,
I do not have a localized OS or VC installation. Like others who have reported this, everything is a standard English/US installation.
Regards,
Mike
sean Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 11:39:32 AM
Do you have a localized version of vc6 or your OS?
mtpudelko Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 11:13:01 AM
Hi Sean,
I did not have that turned on; however, checking it -- in combination with checking/unchecking Tools>Options>Editor -- (restarting in between) made no difference.
Regards,
Mike
sean Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 04:07:12 AM
Do you have the VA option "Get content from default Intellisense" enabled (VA options|Text Editor|Listboxes)?
If so, does disabling that have any effect?
mtpudelko Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 02:43:42 AM
Thank you for the new build. Unfortunately, I just downloaded and installed 1524 from http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1524.exe and it exhibits the same problem. Regards, Mike
support Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 12:43:02 AM
Fixed in 1524.
khb Posted - Jun 17 2006 : 10:16:50 AM
Thank you for the great support! Looking forward to get the next build

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 4:45:14 PM
No such luck. Time to renew.

http://www.wholetomato.com/purchase/buy.html?product=vaxrenew
ajtruckle Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 11:50:00 AM
My support period has expired, so will i be able to use this "next fixed build"?

Andrew
support Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 10:31:50 AM
Fixed in next build.
ajtruckle Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 04:12:11 AM
Thanks aswell.
khb Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 03:38:11 AM
Thank you, feline. I know how it is when users get their hands on your software

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 6:27:00 PM
i have upped the priority on this a bit.

we normally seem to have several urgent bugs to fix, so working out which ones to do first is often not easy. its amazing some of the ways people find to break VA
khb Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 06:19:06 AM
So, regarding Mikes last post localization doesn't seem to play a role. I guess you are currently very busy with fixing bugs in build 1522, but is there still anything what we can do to help you finding the problem? I really would like to see this bug fixed, because it makes every debug session a pain.

Regards,
Marcus.
mtpudelko Posted - Jun 09 2006 : 12:15:20 PM
I am using all English on standard windows US/English. Nothing funky that I am aware of. Both of my systems where I've seen it have multiple display adapters, but one is used almost exclusively via Remote Desktop, so it's typically in a single monitor configuration when used. When I have the IDE in monitors 2 or 3, the value tooltip shows in monitor 1, but that has always been an IDE bug. When I move the IDE to monitor 1, I see this behavior. I've tried disabling all but a single monitor and the behavior is identical.

Regards,
Mike
ajtruckle Posted - Jun 09 2006 : 03:39:51 AM
It is happening to me too for some time now (on my laptop). i don't remember it happening on the desktop. Must check.
feline Posted - Jun 06 2006 : 3:45:04 PM
very strange. support have been able to reproduce this using the GC code base, but only on a specific variable in the code. personally i have never seen this happen.

i recall seeing this come up once before, but i was never able to reproduce it then either. mtpudelko is there anything localised about your system? khb has a localised IDE.

i am using the English OS and the English IDE's over here, so perhaps that is a factor.
khb Posted - Jun 06 2006 : 07:39:09 AM
After reading Mikes post above, I also did some mouse move tests. I get the same results. More specifically: When I move the mouse pointer to a variable, nearly everytime the declaration tooltip appears at first. Then, normally a few 100 ms later, the value tooltip is drawn behind the declaration tooltip. If I move the mouse "far enough" away, both tooltips disappear and the game starts over again. However, if I move the mouse only by one pixel, in most cases the value tooltip stays on the screen while the declaration tooltip disapears for a short moment and then reappears again. When I have a variable in one line and a blank line above it and I move the mouse pixel by pixel from the variable in direction of the blank line (i.e., up) then there is one pixel position where the value tooltip remains and the declaration tooptip disappears permanently (until I push the mouse again). Then, if I move the mouse another pixel upwards, both tooltips disappear.

Regards,
Marcus.
mtpudelko Posted - Jun 06 2006 : 03:33:05 AM
I can reproduce this on multiple machines with multiple projects, some MFC, some COM, even standard C-interface dll's. Like Marcus, it seems to be *all* variables' tooltips. Repeatedly when I break in the debugger and hover, I always see the declaration tooltip higher in the Z-order than the current value tooltip. Occasionally if I move the mouse around the declaration will disappear and the value tooltip will either remain or reappear alone, but that is perhaps one in ten times. Regards, Mike

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000