Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Commenting highlighted text in wrong source file

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SBrennecke Posted - May 21 2006 : 7:40:07 PM
VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1445.0 built 2006.04.12
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

The observed problem: I highlight some text and press / or * to comment out the highlighted text, and the wrong source file is changed. i.e., the text in the current file remains unchanged, and text that was highlighted in another open source file is replaced with the commented code!

Probable requirements to reproduce -- (This is not all of it, because it doesn't happen every time, but it does happen quite frequently):
* Another source file is also open and unsaved.
* The other source file may need to be the .H or .Cpp corresponding to the current file.
* The other source file also has text highlighted.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - May 22 2006 : 5:28:37 PM
We certainly appreciate your willingness to hunt for clues.
SBrennecke Posted - May 22 2006 : 3:17:42 PM
I have Norton AV 2005 (not corporate). To date, I have not traced any problems back to the AV.

I very rarely have two IDEs open simultaneously, but I have done that before. But not this time.

So far, I've seen the problem occur about 5 times, and they were all yesterday. Never before. However, on previous occasions, I have witnessed VAX do other strange things that implied it thought a different source file was current -- such as taking me to the wrong line.

I won't be a "squeaky wheel" about this one until I see it happen again.
feline Posted - May 22 2006 : 3:06:49 PM
we have had very rare reports of this sort of problem before, but not for a while. it is something that tends to stick in my memory [:B]

what anti-virus are you using on your machine? there can be some odd problems with Norton corporate AV, but so far no one has reported this.
do you tend to have more than one IDE open at the same time?

do you have any sense of how frequent this is? once every few days? every few weeks? every couple of hours?
SBrennecke Posted - May 22 2006 : 2:56:41 PM
Even I can't reliably reproduce the problem. I was hoping that my clues would trigger some knowledge or memory in someone else.

I also use the tabbed view, sometimes using vertical split groups, but the problem didn't occur while there was another group displayed.

I have no other add-ins. I've used VA for almost FIVE YEARS now (the "Junior Member" label is humorous), and never seen this particular problem before. I have upgraded almost every time there was a new beta wersion.

Maybe it has to be a Sunday when the moon is waning to make it happen.
rhummer Posted - May 22 2006 : 10:35:16 AM
What kind of view do you use?

ie: tab view. or a tab view with a vertical/horizontal split group? or the old fashion MDI style?

I've tried it in the tab style with text highlghted in both of them and nothing..

Do you have any other add-ins installed? Have you used any other versions of VA X and seen the issue?
jpizzi Posted - May 22 2006 : 12:02:35 AM
Anything else you can find that seems to be related would help. I tried those steps, even going as far as to highlight the same line numbers in each file, couldn't reproduce the problem.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000