Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 MSI package for Visual Assist?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
4u3u Posted - Jun 01 2006 : 09:55:48 AM
Hi,

I'm setting up a deployment of Visual Assist X in my company and I'd prefer to do it with Group Policy. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there an MSI-based installation package available for Visual Assist?
2. Can I embed S/N into installation package so users do not need to enter it manually after installation?

Thank you.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 06 2006 : 3:20:57 PM
the problem with the installer is that it is interactive. however, as a keyboard centric user i am used to running the entire installer via the keyboard, so i know it is quite possible.

if you have a tool that can be easily configured to send the correct key presses to the current window (the installer) at intervals this could be used to "run" the installer. as for the licence key, it does not show up as a standard key in regedit, and i have never seen it show up when exporting registry keys.

to move settings from one machine to another it is worth using:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Export Settings

it saves running regedit by hand
straightwaytek Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 9:43:25 PM
Hello,
You may want to take a look at the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X
If you setup Visual Assist X on a computer, I suspect that you could likely export that entire key from the registry, and basically write a custom batch file that calls the installer, and then installs the necessarry registry key. Just a thought :-)

Sincerely,

James Simpson
Straightway Technologies Inc.
support Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 10:27:07 AM
There is no MSI installer available for VA X, and unfortunately, keys can only be entered via the UI.

We'll provide an unattended installer one day but it won't be soon. The task is much greater than it appears on the surface since VA X is a very complex and wide-ranging add-in, not a standalone application.

case=219
4u3u Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 08:44:46 AM
Thank you for your answer,

Yes, I will probably go with reg keys, just checking if there is another (supported?) way.

Regarding MSI, I may be wrong but IIRC I've seen VisualAssist.NET distributed as MSI package. Just wonder what was the reason to change it to your own installer...
feline Posted - Jun 01 2006 : 6:04:50 PM
i will have to ask support about this. however you may have some success distributing a registry key holding the licence information, if that is possible.

i have never tried this personally, but i believe the licence information is stored in the registry, but something is done to the keys so that you cannot simply read it out via regedit.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000