Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Can't install in Vista Beta 2 + VS 2005

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smakofsky Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 09:42:50 AM
I have Vista Beta 2 with Visual Studio 2005 installed, and after Visual Assist installing (tried both 1445 and 1446) and running VS, I get a single dialog with:

"A critical error occurred while initializing Visual Assist X"

Help!

Thanks,
-Steve
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smakofsky Posted - Jun 04 2006 : 12:00:51 AM
Joe - actually, yes I do.
straightwaytek Posted - Jun 03 2006 : 7:54:44 PM
Hello,
I just installed Windows Vista Beta 2, with all three major development tools (Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio .NET 2003 & Visual Studio 2005). On Visual Studio 2005 I got a failed to initalize error from VAX. On Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .NET 2003, the application loaded as expected. Therefore it would be in the best interest of Whole Tomato to look into getting a Vista compatible edition of VAX as more of us developers will make the switch to Vista during the betas, and especially when it is to be released in November.

Sincerely,

James Simpson
straightwaytek Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 9:55:45 PM
Hello,
I haven't tried mixing Vista Beta 2 Ultimate with Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Assist X as I suspect it would be like mixing a tomato sandwich with a litre of vinegar. However, I am supposed to convert my whole primary operating environment from Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise, where Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Assist X works fine to Windows Vista 2. I haven't tried installing both yet, as the previous post has mentioned, but I will try it out and report back what happens.

Sincerely,

James Simpson
jpizzi Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 6:09:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by smakofsky

Far away? Vista will be done in a few months.

Do you really believe that?
smakofsky Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 5:19:14 PM
Will do - my account is in the administrators group already, im just not logged in as "Administrator".

Ill check what filemon/regmon is doing.
sean Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 3:23:20 PM
Could you try without admin priv and use filemon and regmon (if they work in Vista) to determine what access is failing?

You might also try uninstalling VA and then reinstalling to a directory which your non-admin account has full control.
smakofsky Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 3:17:17 PM
Got it. You need to run devenv.exe with Adminstrative priv's, and now it works.

Right click on devenv.exe, hit Run As Admin... and you're good to go.
support Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 10:22:09 AM
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can provide at this time to help.

We will support Vista in due time. No date yet.
smakofsky Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 10:20:49 AM
Are there any log files I can provide to get this working?
smakofsky Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 10:12:06 AM
Far away? Vista will be done in a few months.
rhummer Posted - Jun 02 2006 : 10:05:35 AM
I believe VA X doesn't work with Vista yet, dunno when it will be supported. Since release is still very far away ;)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000