Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Highligting references doesn't work

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
beef Posted - Jun 12 2006 : 12:38:00 PM
..at all. Just nothing happens when I check (or uncheck) 'Highlight all' after references are listed. Am I doing something wrong? 'Find References' dialog is docked, the code window backround is dark (if it is important). The rest of my configuration below:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1522.0 built 2006.06.08
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (5-user license) Support ends 2006.07.20
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.7
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Dodatek Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2006)\\Include;
C:\\Work\\c++\\Boost\\include\\boost-1_33_1;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Platform SDK\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Work\\c++\\Boost\\include\\boost-1_33_1;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Nov 24 2006 : 9:22:28 PM
Consolas font supported in build 1541.

case 1206 fixed.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 23 2006 : 11:53:32 PM
Smooth edges is somewhat different than ClearType. AFAIK, smooth edges just performs anti-aliasing on the edges of the font. ClearType actually uses different colors (brightnesses of the font color) to visually smooth out the edges of the letters.

I'm not sure how "designed for ClearType" would make a difference, either. But then again, I wasn't smart enough in display technology to come up with ClearType to start with, so there is no telling how you would "design" a font for ClearType.
feline Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 2:52:24 PM
no clear type tuner installed on my winXP test system. personally i do not see how clear type could be an issue here, since that is only supposed to effect how the font is rendered. of course, i am making the wild assumption that when this font was "designed for clear type" that all they did was to shape the letters so that they would look good when clear type is applied to them.

if i am wrong, and something specific was done to the font its self at a lower level then this would explain the effect.

although in win2k -> display settings -> effects tab
i have the option "smooth edges of screen fonts". does anyone happen to know if this is the same technique as clear type, or a different one? i could google this, but i am not sure it is that important.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 7:48:43 PM
I *do* have the ClearType tuner installed. As you observed, turning it on or off doesn't seem to matter. Uniwares seems to support that having it installed doesn't matter.

The (system-wide) ClearType stuff only works in XP. Perhaps this explains the appearance of being OS specific?
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:26:55 PM
*insert rude word here*

i have just installed both VS2005 and Consolas on a WinXP machine, and now i can reproduce this. the problem appears to be OS specific!
Uniwares Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 1:35:04 PM
Same problem here: 1524, winxp, vs2005, consolas font, no cleartype tuner = no highlighting.
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 1:01:35 PM
this is very odd. here is a screen shot of what i am getting:

i have highlight all set to a rather obvious red from when i was testing it. this is what my win2k machine claims is the Consolas font, as downloaded from Microsoft. i do not have clear type tuner installed or turned on on this machine, it is running inside VMWare.

is anyone seeing this problem on win2k? or is everyone who gets this running on winXP?
sean Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 10:18:28 AM
consolas font problems is case=1206
bugfix Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 02:49:16 AM
Just tried those fonts. Well works but looks ugly:)
Another thing I've tried yesterday was to turn off cleartype which didn't have any effect to the highlighting.

@jpizzi
Since you're seeing the same problem, do you have ClearType Tuner from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx installed as well? Maybe feline hasn't and that ubertoy tunes too much:)
jpizzi Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 01:39:28 AM
Well, I don't know what I am doing differently, but I see the same thing as bugfix. One thing I see is that Consolas apparently does not have a bold. At least I can't tell the difference.

I think this one is really the font itself. Consolas is described as being "optimized for Clear Type." Perhaps one of the optimizations is to restrict the background colors somehow? I don't know.

I could either re-open the existing (closed) case, or open a new one. But, since this is font-specific, I am not too hopeful about being able to resolve it with anything short of "use a different font."

Have you tried Bitstream Vera Sans Mono? I forget where I got it, but the link is in the forums here, if you search for it.

Next action is your choice, bugfix. Just let me know.
bugfix Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 5:51:09 PM
Project doesn't matter. I've had different projects when testing it in VS2005 and VS2003.
XP+SP2+zillion of hotfixes and no CPU hogging AV running in background:)
No other Addins are currently installed. All in all it's pretty fresh install because 1 month ago my XP didnt boot anymore so I had to reinstall.

Maybe just ask the devs how a font can probably cause such an effect?
feline Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 5:32:11 PM
*sigh* i have imported both the VS2005 and VA settings and highlight references works perfectly for me in my test project.

can you try this in a different project? which OS are you running?

it makes very little sense that this would be project specific like this, but it is not impossible.
bugfix Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 09:39:46 AM
mail sent
feline Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 09:17:51 AM
i have just emailed you via the forum. can you reply to the email with both you your VS2005 and VA settings attached please:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings
VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Export Settings

also can you confirm that your windows global background colour is white?

are you using the Consolas font from the link i posted? or is it possible you have the font from some other location, and thus some other version of the font.

i can then import these settings and see if i can reproduce the problem here.
bugfix Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 09:03:12 AM
Opening and Closing doesb't fix it.
Highlighting works as soon as I switch to e.g. Courier New. So my color settings are ok, I see both L- and R-Value differently colored. FWIW, I'm using default color scheme in VS and XP. When switching back to Consolas font there's just no coloring applied here, already tried different font sizes.
feline Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 08:49:09 AM
beef, when i tested this in 1524 it simply did not work for me in VS2003, but now it does. it turns out my registry settings were slightly upset. so i can now agree, it does in fact work in VS2003 as well

bugfix this working for me in both VS2003 and VS2005 with the Consolas font from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

can you open the IDE -> tools menu -> options dialog and then cancel it, and then re-try highlight references please. you probably have the same invalid piece of data in your registry as i did, and this should reset it, thus fixing the problem.

the other thing to check is that the colours you have selected for highlight references are sufficiently distinct that they will show up on your colour scheme.
bugfix Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 05:50:02 AM
Doesn't work w/ Consolas font neither in VS2005 nor in VS2003:)

-bugfix
beef Posted - Jun 17 2006 : 3:44:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

you have the same problem as me then.

case=1198

this should be fixed in the next build, which is something i am eagerly awaiting

Hm, the list of changes for 1524 states:

Highlight All references works with non-white, global background color. (case=1198) (Fixed in VS2005 only.)

Let me be first to report, that it is fixed now for VS2003 also. Ha! ;)
feline Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 4:53:10 PM
you have the same problem as me then.

case=1198

this should be fixed in the next build, which is something i am eagerly awaiting
beef Posted - Jun 14 2006 : 6:40:54 PM
Hm, previously I set it to 'default', which turns it into some kind of beige (the default color for windows in my system, if you ask for it). Now, I set it literally to 'white', and... v'oilla! It works! :) Strange. But I'd rather wait for next version, the white background is too much for my tired eyes..
feline Posted - Jun 14 2006 : 6:09:06 PM
to repeat Sean's earlier question, what color do you have set for "window" in control panel -> display -> appearance tab (-> advanced button under winXP)?

i have this set to off white (a very pale blue) and this stops highlighting working.
sean Posted - Jun 14 2006 : 2:23:14 PM
Does it work if you set background for items 'Text' and 'Identifier' to white and then restart the IDE?
beef Posted - Jun 14 2006 : 2:15:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

If you change your src window bgkgrnd color to white does the highlighting start working?

Unfortunately no, still can't force it to work. I think I just must wait for this issue to be resolved :)
sean Posted - Jun 14 2006 : 12:40:41 AM
case=1198 - will be fixed in next build
sean Posted - Jun 13 2006 : 9:29:35 PM
Scratch that last question.

I'm seeing this too on a test machine. My src window bkgrnd is normally black. On the test system, changing it to white allows the highlighting to work - and changing it back to black breaks it. This might be related to case=1198.

If you change your src window bgkgrnd color to white does the highlighting start working?
sean Posted - Jun 13 2006 : 3:44:16 PM
What color do you have set for "window" in control panel -> display -> appearance tab (-> advanced button under winXP)?
beef Posted - Jun 12 2006 : 6:20:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Do you have "Enhance Syntax Coloring" enabled (VA Options|Environment)? Highlight references is dependent upon that setting...

case=1285

Yes, I have.
sean Posted - Jun 12 2006 : 3:46:49 PM
Do you have "Enhance Syntax Coloring" enabled (VA Options|Environment)? Highlight references is dependent upon that setting...

case=1285
beef Posted - Jun 12 2006 : 3:02:55 PM
Background: r:0 g:72 b:72
Text: white
References: FFC0C0 and C0FFFF

Honestly, I doubt if it is a background-related problem. I can see window repainting when I check the box, but nothing changes in it. For testing, I opened CxImage project (can be found on www.codeproject.com) and perform reference searching on CxImage symbol - results are the same.
rhummer Posted - Jun 12 2006 : 2:44:25 PM
What color do you use for your background, and what colors did you choose for the Hightlight references. I use a light background color and Hightlight References has always worked for me.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000