Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Find Reference corrupts Output Window

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 09:27:14 AM
When I use the find reference feature the results are put into the output window, however the entire window seems to be hijacked instead of putting the results into a new or existing tab.

So that for example, when I now decide to compile, I cannot see my build tab, or any of the other tabs for that matter. I can restore the proper output window by selecting Output from the view window, but that is a hassle.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 7:19:22 PM
Michael which IDE and version of VA are you using? I am assuming VC6 for the IDE.

is the output window floating or docked? if it is floating can you right click on it and see if "Docking View" is turned on or off.

it is possible something about your specific window layout is a factor here.
do you have any other plugin's installed?
MrJones4u Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 11:20:46 AM
Hi,

I've got the same here; every time I use find reference all output windows are "overwritten" by VAX. When pressing ESC the output window disappears and I have to reopen it before I can view build, find in files etc. Also it seems that F7 for rebuild does not work when the output window is not visibleG?

Cu,
Michael
d_p_robinson Posted - Jul 25 2006 : 05:10:53 AM
In VC6, tools can have new output window panes created when a new custom tool is added and the 'Use output window' is checked. There may be something that VA could hook into here... Maybe the find references could use a command-line interface that sent output to the output window in a form that the VC error parser understands in order to do the look-up.
feline Posted - Jun 18 2006 : 08:23:46 AM
*experiments*

with focus in the find results window pressing Escape dismisses it, showing the standard tabs in VC6.
alternatively ALT-2 will show the output window, saving you having to use the menu.

this is not ideal, i know. i suspect, but do not know, that VC6 does not allow VA to create a new tab. we already have the problem that it does not allow VA to insert its own menu.
sean Posted - Jun 17 2006 : 5:23:58 PM
The placement of the results window is by design (hijacking the output window). The redraw/sizing problem during dock-undock-dock is a bug (and for me doesn't occur if my workspace window is floating instead of docked).
jpizzi Posted - Jun 17 2006 : 5:01:11 PM
Here is what I am seeing, which seems to be what the others are seeing.
Normal pane:

After Find References:

Note that I can get it to this point, but the tabs don't work:

case=1360
feline Posted - Jun 17 2006 : 1:25:33 PM
is it possible for someone to post a screen shot of this effect? the description puts me in mind of an autohide window for find results that has been placed in front of the pinned Output window.

i am assuming that it is not this simple though.
beef Posted - Jun 16 2006 : 3:07:08 PM
I can confirm this issue - the same happens in my VC6 system - the entire output is overwritten by "find references" results. I have SP6 for VC6 installed.
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 6:44:26 PM
Using the toolbar button just brings the previous results back to the top.

So when I do the search, my standard output window is replaced (totally removed from view) by the find references results. I can get the output window back by pressing ESC. With the toolbar button I can bring the results window back (again replacing/removing the output window).

It could be better, but I can live with it as is.
feline Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 5:32:27 PM
when you use the toolbar button what happens? do you get the actual find references tab, or does one of your existing tabs get highjacked? do you have any other plugin's installed?
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 1:13:43 PM
Thanks, the toolbar button helps alot.
sean Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 1:03:38 PM
Yes it should be a separate tab.

You can redisplay the search results without rerunning the search - but you need to create a shortcut or toolbar button for it. Tools|Customize|Commands|Category 'All Commands'. 'VisualAssistXFindReferencesResults' is what you want to look for.
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 12:28:06 PM
Yes - if I press ESC, I get the normal Output window back. So that is OK.
But if I want to look at any of the other tabs in the output window and want keep the find references window visible, I am out of luck. I have to perform the search again. It seems like this should be a tab or a separate window.

Anyway, I like the feature, and will use it this way. It is just that it is not integrated into the IDE as well as the rest of the VA enhancements.
sean Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 12:05:55 PM
In VC6, pressing escape should close the results window - does that not work?
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 10:07:30 AM
Can you edit the post and remove those email addresses please.
BobF Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 10:05:26 AM
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1522.0 built 2006.06.08
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA 6.0:
VA 4.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.7
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.1
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MATLAB7.0R14\\BIN\\WIN32;
C:\\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\\FLYNNBR\\MY DOCUMENTS\\OFDM\\LIBDSP\\LIBDSP-SRC\\INLINES-1.2.5;
C:\\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\\FLYNNBR\\MY DOCUMENTS\\PRACSIM\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MATLAB7.0R14\\EXTERN\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MATLAB7.0R14\\EXTERN\\EXAMPLES\\REFBOOK;
C:\\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\\FLYNNBR\\DESKTOP\\CPPUNITLITE\\OM\\CPPUNITLITE\\CPP\\TESTHARNESS;
C:\\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\\FLYNNBR\\MY DOCUMENTS\\CODE LIBRARY\\LIST CONTROLS;
C:\\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\\FLYNNBR\\DESKTOP\\SIMLIB\\SIMLIB1.2\\SIMLIB;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

rhummer Posted - Jun 15 2006 : 09:47:14 AM
Paste the info from the VA X options.

I've never seen that happen, and I use Find References religiously now. So I'm curious what IDE you are using and seeing this.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000