Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1524: context menu - auto refactoring?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 2:30:04 PM
(vs2005)

Open any C++ source code, hold shift and right click into the source code. The vax context menu will pop up. Dont release shift immediately...

Now "Refactoring" will be selected and its submenu opened. Shortly after the whole context menu is closed.

The delay is very short, probably the menu-delay time.

PS: this does not happen when the context menu is invoked by the keyboard.

PPS: just noticed, that when you have something useful under the cursor, some entry from the refactoring menu is selected and executed. Often this happens to be "Rename".
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 22 2006 : 11:54:35 AM
leojay if you change to a slightly earlier version of VA this may stop happening, based on Uniwares experience.

beyond that, any clues as to what is going on here, specifically triggering or causing this to happen would be gratefully received.
Uniwares Posted - Jul 20 2006 : 09:07:35 AM
Looking at the movie, it seems to be EXACTLY what happened to me too. Independent of the type of project. Just, its not doing it anymore. Only difference: the version of VAX (and maybe some windows updates).
leojay Posted - Jul 20 2006 : 05:25:19 AM
all of these addins are used for runtime error detecting, have nothing to do with code editing.
and i did not enable these addins.
thanks
jpizzi Posted - Jul 20 2006 : 12:09:43 AM
From your video, I can see that you have numerous other add-ins installed. Could you try disabling them to see if that makes any difference?

I repeated the steps in your video exactly, but did not get the behavior that you did. So, let's try to find out what is different between your setup and mine that affects the way this works.
leojay Posted - Jul 19 2006 : 04:51:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jpizzi

leojay:

When I follow your instructions on a default-created MFC dialog application, the only time anything is selected is if I move the mouse over the item. This is what I would expect to happen. Can you try with a minimal project?

i tried to create a new console project, but there is no difference.
i used a screen capture software to record the process,
you can get it at http://python.leojay.googlepages.com/va-1.zip
jpizzi Posted - Jul 19 2006 : 01:43:33 AM
leojay:

When I follow your instructions on a default-created MFC dialog application, the only time anything is selected is if I move the mouse over the item. This is what I would expect to happen. Can you try with a minimal project?

All:
Today, I am fairly consistently getting the VA menu going away if I hold the shift key down. Wonder what phase the moon is in......
leojay Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 11:23:39 PM
i have a similar problem.
vc 6, va 1530, win xp sp2

i'm pressing the shift button(wherever is the same) --> holding it down
--> right clicking --> releasing the right mouse button
--> keeping the shift button down --> moving mouse.
and after that, the Rename of the Refactor menu is automatically selected.
is that normal?
Uniwares Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 10:12:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

as for understanding, i strive to understand all things, but sometimes this can be quite the challenge :)

Start with C++ templates, the rest is peanuts...
feline Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 7:34:44 PM
i am glad this is fixed!

as for understanding, i strive to understand all things, but sometimes this can be quite the challenge :)
Uniwares Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 07:18:08 AM
as of build 1530, its gone. no more "auto-refactoring"... who will ever understand.
jpizzi Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 01:02:47 AM
It is not the menu that is flashing. It is the refactor icon. It appears, but goes away almost immediately if the shift key is down.

Again, is this how it is supposed to work? I haven't a clue.
support Posted - Jul 02 2006 : 2:59:55 PM
We only open cases for problem that are reproducible. It simply makes inefficient use of our developer time if we violate this rule.

Discussing odd behavior via email is a different matter. We do that often.

We can't repro the "flashing menu while holding Shift" anomoly.

We're still looking. Post more clues if you get them.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 25 2006 : 10:56:47 PM
I see the flash you are talking about with the refactor icon. When I saw that the other day, I just assumed that holding the shift key was supposed to do that.

Support?
Uniwares Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 11:14:58 AM
How weird: with a message spy (Spy++, Winspector) attached to the window all works as it should. There are some WM_TIMER (IDs 131, 139, 141, 144, 122, 9333, 9335, 33296) occuring, seems a bit much for a simple menu (besides of the usual WM_SYSTIMER). Only two of those timers also show up on the normal context menu. Comparing the messages between the normal context menu and the vax context menu shows some differences - missing WM_(ENTER/EXIT)MENULOOP, many more WM_TIMER messages.

Another thing that might be a hint: hold the shift key and hover the mouse over any symbol: the refactor button flashes the same way as the menu does. It show up shortly and disappears. Might be related. Some piece of code to hide the button when a key is pressed, with some side effects on menus?

If I am the only person in the world who sees that, then its for sure not worth to open a case for it. But it might be worth to check out if there is some "dirty" code leftover.
Uniwares Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 08:03:11 AM
No, i have definitely no idea. Will try to hook the menu calls with DeveloperPlayground and see whats in the call stack.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 01:30:10 AM
OK. After having VS idle in the background for a while, I can reproduce the menu disappearing. But I cannot reproduce having any item selected. For me, the delay is so fast I cannot see what is selected.

Without having it do something bad, I am not sure it is worth opening a case. Do you think it is? Can you provide more information that might allow me to reproduce the menu selection and action?
jpizzi Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 12:53:23 AM
The shift-right-click menu IS a VAX menu. I looked back through the thread to see what prompted the doubts. Didn't see it.

Anyway, I think I have seen what you are describing just a minute ago. Couldn't do it again, however. Maybe I just got it again. My case seems to be only after the VS has been idle for a little (not sure how long). Is this consistent with your experience, or is it all the time for you?
Uniwares Posted - Jun 23 2006 : 5:41:00 PM
When a Find References is in progress, one that takes a long time to complete, shift right click opens the VAX context menu and immediately closes it, it just flashes. That seems to me like a sign that VAX IS controlling this menu somehow.
Uniwares Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 6:19:40 PM
not at hand but should not be too hard to find. gonna try.
feline Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 6:11:53 PM
do you have any screen capture software on hand?

to be honest i have no ideas on this, so i am hoping that either a log file, or a screen capture movie will shed some light on this.
Uniwares Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 08:06:48 AM
Another thing: interestingly a disabled menu entry gets selected (visually). Also when I release shift right after the menu popped up, all is fine and as expected. Pressing shift now will again open the refactor menu and select an menu entry. Maybe some leftover debug code for testing?
Uniwares Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 5:30:20 PM
Sounds like the same. Weird thing. As for the key, i usually use the left one, but the right one does the same here.
Odd. Very odd.
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:37:10 PM
i have now tested this under winXP, and i still see nothing like this. when the menu opens the very top item (Insert/Remove breakpoint) is highlighted, and that is it. i am trying different screen positions, clicking on different things, and still nothing.

testing in VS2005 professional and VS003

i am pressing the shift button (i have tried both the left and the right, no different), holding it down, then right clicking, then releasing the right mouse button, but keeping the shift button down.

is this the same as you?
Uniwares Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:21:49 PM
Yes it does. As expected. As long as there is enough space to place it. Otherwise the usual windows rules seem to be applied.
support Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:18:35 PM
Our context menu should open near the mouse when you use Shift+Right Click to open it.

Does the menu open near the mouse for you?
Uniwares Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 3:44:51 PM
resolution is 1280x1024, no tools to mess with keys, no graphicscard utilities that might use hotkeys,etc.
Different locations make no difference, its not the mouse that picks the item, which can be easily verified by placing the mouse on a location where it will always be outside the menu (very high or very low).
Using XP.
Just verified: same thing under vs2003 too.
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 3:38:23 PM
VS2005 and VA 1524 with C++ i cannot reproduce this at all.

what screen resolution are you running at? does trying this at different points on the screen make any difference? my only theory at the moment is that somehow the mouse is lining up with the refactoring menu item, but that does not really explain this.

any programs running that might be picking up a prolonged holding of shift? sticky keys, or anything like that? i am testing under win2k, so the OS may just matter.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000