Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1524: smart-pointers again (unfortunately)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
o2a Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 2:42:54 PM
Hi,

I was too quick with my relief about smart pointers finally working again.
There are still some heavy problems.
A very simple case:

#include <memory>

class Test
{
public:
	int someVar;
};

int main()
{
	std::auto_ptr<Test> test;
	test->|
}

(Tested with VS2005 and it's STL implementation.)

With some other smart pointer types, namely boost::shared_ptr, boost::optional and boost::scoped_ptr, I get mixed results so far. It seems that VAX trips over smart pointers whose contained types are given with partial or full qualification like boost::scoped_ptr<::A::B::Type>.

I'll see, if I can put together some better test case if I get the time.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 12:43:16 AM
Fixed in build 1525.
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:43:27 PM
that's odd. i have default intellisense turned off in VA, but not actually disabled on this test machine.
o2a Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 4:01:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

not all known smart pointer bugs were fixed in 1524, but it was mainly COM smart pointer problems that were supposed to be outstanding.

Ah, I see. But at least the problems were fixed for my own pointer-like wrapper classes too.

quote:

in this test case are you getting a massive completion listbox, of all sorts of items? that is what i am getting. this has shown up before on other STL classes, and does not appear to be related to smart pointers. i first saw it on std::string

No, here I get just... nothing. It doesn't open any suggestion list. But the variable itself is ok, as I get the actual auto_ptr members in then completion list, when I use a dot insteat of the ->.

Btw, "Get content from default Intellisense" is disabled here, as I completely disabled VS2005's Intellisense (by renaming that one DLL) because of that notorious performance bug. (I hope there will be a VS-service pack soon.)
feline Posted - Jun 20 2006 : 3:47:57 PM
not all known smart pointer bugs were fixed in 1524, but it was mainly COM smart pointer problems that were supposed to be outstanding.

in this test case are you getting a massive completion listbox, of all sorts of items? that is what i am getting. this has shown up before on other STL classes, and does not appear to be related to smart pointers. i first saw it on std::string

case=1333

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000