Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1524 rename hang

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mnd Posted - Jun 21 2006 : 06:00:00 AM
I've already been bitten two times by an hang while using the renaming method.
The ide just hang, no cpu peak, it just sit down and you have to kill it.

It's not reproducible everytime, sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs.

regards,

- mn
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 09:22:57 AM
which IDE are you using? i use rename quite a lot in VS2005 with C++ and have never had this problem.

can you get a call stack of the hung IDE or a VA log file of this happening please? both would be ideal.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log

if you generate a log file can you email it to [email protected] , referencing this thread please.
mnd Posted - Jun 23 2006 : 03:01:59 AM
I did not have the local symbols in bold preference turned on, however as I showed in the code above the symbol WAS a local symbol, in fact was the index of a for loop defined in the for statement.

I could not reproduce the problem consistently but after 2 or 3 renames I've 80% chance that the next rename will hang (making it a useless feature...).

- mn
support Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 8:20:19 PM
VA X should not search far and wide for references to local variables.
feline Posted - Jun 22 2006 : 6:02:58 PM
mnd do you have local symbols in bold turned on? if so, do you remember if in these cases you were trying to rename a bold symbol?

i was able to reproduce the effect in thread 4818, but this was a consistent effect, and did not involve local symbols. however it could be relevant.

when i have run rename on local (bold) variables i do not see the Find References scan of files take place, so i assume VA knows to handle these cases differently, at least most of the time.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 21 2006 : 11:56:57 PM
I'm guessing that the "i" is so simple (and common) that, combined with the issue in thread 4818 (http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4818), it is just too much to try to rename that variable.

But, that is just a guess. Support?
mnd Posted - Jun 21 2006 : 4:00:18 PM
no, the funny thing was that the I had a pretty simple code, something like:

do {
  for(int i = 0; i < len; i++)
    doSomething(i);
} while(false);

and I tried to change the i variable to something like storyIdx.

However the cpp file is part of a solution with 25 projects for 5000 files (in totale) at least.

- mn
support Posted - Jun 21 2006 : 1:19:39 PM
Does the hang occur only when you try to rename a symbol with references in hundreds or thousands of files?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000