Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1524: refactoring: VAX vs. VS2005

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Jun 23 2006 : 5:46:42 PM
VS2005's "Find all references" always reports a different number of references than VAX (usually much higher). This is somehow worrying, as there ARE symbols which VS finds correctly but that do not show up in VAX. In the end this means that "Rename" will miss lots of references.

In one case (std::string) VAX finds 1608 while VS2005 finds 2068.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 1:49:04 PM
i am glad it is not just me

i was wondering if i had somehow completely broken my machine when i produced that screen shot, but apparently not.
Uniwares Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 11:29:02 AM
After playing around a bit more with VS2005's Find all references... forget that i ever talked about it. The results are worse than anything VAX ever produced (except maybe some of the earlier releases of the HCB). It starts to show up weird results, completely unrelated.
feline Posted - Jun 24 2006 : 09:48:04 AM
how are you getting the number of entries VS2005 its self found? i have never used the IDE's find references before since i normally have the IDE's parsing turned off, it is to slow on large C++ projects. that stops find all references working.

so far i am finding that VA and the IDE work differently some of the time. doing a find for a class name produces more entries from VA than from the IDE, which makes sense.

however it was this effect that really irritated me. what exactly does the number of matches found mean?

there are two files, three references, and one match?

in most of my tests the two lists are proving hard to compare, but the IDE seems to be coming up with less matches most of the time, at least for me, in small test projects.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000