Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX1525 : completion goes wrong in C#

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SvenC Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 04:16:47 AM
Hi,

I started work on a new C# 2005 web service with VAX1525 enabled and intellisense misbehaves a bit:

When I type "us" to add a using declaration I get a completion listbox with unchecked selected. No using in the list. Nevertheless: pressing Ctrl-Space gives me a completion for using

After entering " Sys" I would have expected to get a completion listbox with System as selected Namespace, but I do not get any completion listbox. Pressing Ctrl-Space gives me System.

Entering ".T" I would have expected a completion listbox with "Text" as selected Namespace. But this happens: entering "." -> the completion listbox shows up. Entering "T" -> the completion listbox closes.

Later on in a class method I use StringBuilder with the same result. As soon as I press the first key after "." the lisbox closes automatically.

Without VAX enabled the default VS2005 intellisense does not have such problems.

Please notice that this is a new web service project with just one class so there should be nothing complicated to parse up to now.

Regards,
SvenC
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 15 2006 : 12:18:24 PM
i am seeing the same thing, but i can reproduce this by opening the ASAX in an existing C++ project, which suggests this is a different problem to last time.

case=1699
Christopher Holt Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 12:39:22 PM
Let me just say that it is much better than before. I was having problems when typing anything into a aspx or asax but since you've made that fix it only seems to happen with the C# code in this one case.

Could it be because of the asax file extension? Not sure if extensions are used in the parsing logic or not.
SvenC Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 12:34:03 PM
Hmm - double checked and this time you are right: listbox in code in asax files do close automatically when typing any characters. Don't know where the difference is to my last try where it did work. I did a clean and rebuild, restarted the IDE, waited for VAX parsing to finish and the listboxes close...

Adding script in an aspx file makes intellisense work but I guess that is because VS2005 is doing the intellisense without VAX inbetwenn. The listboxes appear to be a bit smaller. They look like the xml-Intellisense boxes which are also a VS2005-feature.

So VAX still seems a bit confused what to do with files in web projects...
Christopher Holt Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 07:27:35 AM
I just did that and it did not help.
How are you testing it?
The problem is when writing the C# code not the ASP.NET tags.
SvenC Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 01:42:56 AM
Hi Chris,

I cannot reproduce that on my machine with 1530 in VS2005.
Did you clean the VAX cache and clicked rebuild symbols?

Bye,
SvenC
Christopher Holt Posted - Jul 12 2006 : 06:17:18 AM
In the markup you put html and you can even put C# code. I am not refering to the code-behind file (the .cs file) of the page.
In any case the default method of putting code in a Global.asax file in VS2005 is in the actual asax file and not a code-behind file.

Here is an example Global.asax file:

<%@ Application Language="C#" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="MyNamespace" %>

<script runat="server">
void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
// ... code that runs when web application starts up
}
</script>

Intellisense has the exact same behavior as described previously in this thread when typing.

Hope this helps,

Chris
SvenC Posted - Jul 12 2006 : 01:32:14 AM
Hi Christopher,

on my machine I could recognize that VAX started to parse again (watch the status bar) when I opened aspx.cs files. During the parse my listboxes did also close when I started typing. After the parse finished the listboxes worked as expected.

I am not sure what code you enter in the aspx files? Do you enter client side script code? Intellisense for xml elements is working correct for me.

Regards,
SvenC
feline Posted - Jul 11 2006 : 6:46:39 PM
what sort of project are you using? or have you just created an aspx file in a standard project?
what you do you mean by "viewing the markup"? i do not really know anything about web development yet.
Christopher Holt Posted - Jul 11 2006 : 10:14:26 AM
This problem still exists in 1530 when typing in an aspx page. When I say an aspx page I mean when viewing the markup. After intellisense pops up if you type any character the list box disappears.
support Posted - Jul 09 2006 : 1:35:46 PM
Fixed in 1530.
SvenC Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 1:06:00 PM
Perfect! Listboxes stay open when I continue typing narrowing down the possible entries in the current context.

And yes, the runtime error was on the first start of VS2005 after having upgraded to 1526. I saw the parsing comments in the status bar. It was in the platform sdk folder when I looked at it. After the restart no such runtime error came up again.

The upgrade to 1527 was flaw less so far.

Thanks a lot,
SvenC
support Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 11:18:05 AM
We tried a more general approach, mind trying 1527 to see if it eliminates the problem with the disappearing listboxes?

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1527.exe

Did you get the runtime errors only the first time you started 1526?
SvenC Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 02:40:23 AM
Hi support,

1526 didn't change the behaviour for me: the snippet listbox doesn't include "using" if VAX is enabled. All intellisense listboxes close immediately after I press any key (except navigation keys like up and down). So I cannot "walk" to the correct member of the list by typing its first letters. The only way to select and enter one of the listbox members is by using the cursor keys or the mouse.

I tried disabling the options you suggested but that didn't make a difference except that I had to use <ctrl>-<space> to open up the listboxes. After opening them that way they behave identical as decribed above.

After upgrading to 1526 and opening the C# web service solution my VS2005 gave those two message boxes and I had to kill it because the main window didn't respond to any key or mouse input:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: ...m Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe

R6025

- pure virtual function call

OK

Microsoft Visual Studio
The operation could not be completed. The process terminated unexpectedly.
OK

I have no other addins installed.

Regards,
SvenC
support Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 1:27:32 PM
We are still testing the logic which we detect web service projects, mind trying 1526 to see if it works Ok for your setup?

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1526.exe
SvenC Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 07:46:46 AM
Nice to hear - any idea when 1526 will be made available?

Regards,
SvenC
support Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 3:56:36 PM
It appears the problem was related to the format of web service projects in 2005. Will be fixed in 1526.
support Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 12:25:17 PM
You are probably looking at completion lists generated by the IDE for C#, then "member listboxes" after typing the dot. See this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4792

With VA X enabled, VA X replaces the IDE listboxes (not the contents) with an enhanced version that supports filtering, bolding, shrinking, etc. See this description:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/members.html

We wonder if one of the VA X features is interfering with normal behavior. Try disabling disabling "Show completion listboxes after every character" and/or our enhanced listboxes. (One via the IDE options and the other via VA X options.)
SvenC Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 05:00:22 AM
The listbox looks like the snippet list box of VS2005. At the beginning of the source file I type "u".
With VAX disabled I see more snippet entries, e.g. one for "using" and the list box stays open.
With VAX enabled the snippet list has less entries (using is missing) and it is closed automatically after about one second.

Maybe I use the word "completion listbox" in a wrong way. What I mean is:

1) I start typing a variable and a listbox opens showing me all symbols matching so far. E.g. String sMyString If I type "s" I get the first symbol starting with s. Without VAX enabled I can type "m" and get sMyType selected. Typing an "m" with VAX enabled causes the listbox to close.

2) When I type a dot after a class variable I get a listbox with members of that class. Typing any character with VAX enabled causes the listbox to close instead of selecting the first match.

Did you also use VS2005?

Regards,
SvenC
feline Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 3:46:45 PM
i am seeing very similar effects using a new ASP.NET web service - using C#
i do not see these problems using an existing C# program, so this problem appears to be somehow specific to web services.

however i cannot reproduce the unselected item on typing "using". was this a suggestion listbox (with question mark icons)? if so then this would make some sense. you are not supposed to get a completion listbox with nothing selected.

case=1480

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000