Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1526: Another problem showing function parameters

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dodudo7 Posted - Jul 02 2006 : 09:34:21 AM
In the latest versions of VA-X the ALT+G menu shows also the full path of the files containing the implementations found.
I know that this feature was added due to a customer request, but it creates a much bigger problem. Now functions with many parameters have their parameters list replaced by "...".
Since it is common to have functions with the same name (overloading) within the same file, now they are indistinguishable because most of the signature is missing.
In my opinion the addition of the function parameters was a great feature added in 10.1 and now it's functionality is reduced.

p.s. the above problem happens when the source code has a relatively long path (40 characters).
p.s. 2 I'm using visual studio 2003 and C++ code.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 7:40:17 PM
i use CVS, and i am familiar with the names of several other source control systems, but not that one. there is a LOT to know, and i long ago stopped trying to hold all of it in my memory

it is good to rule out a widely used source control system, but this does leave the question, what is different about the projects with this problem.

*considers*

if you close all open windows, and then close the IDE, and then reload it, and open the solution again, so there are no open windows, does OFIW list "communicationModule.h" ?

if VA is confused about which files are actually part of the solution this might explain some of the problem, but then we have to work out why VA is confused about this.
dodudo7 Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 08:12:05 AM
You seriously don't know what ClearCase is??
It's the source control environment from IBM (originally Rational). They have a relative large customer base, so I woulnd call them "odd software".
Anyway, what I intended to say is, that the problem happens also when working without any souce control, so I don't believe that it is the source control environment that's causing this problem.
Anyway, just as a positive feedback, VA work excellent with Rational ClearCase.
feline Posted - Jul 15 2006 : 2:15:02 PM
what is a ClearCase drive?
if you have some "odd" software installed that changes how the file system looks this might explain the problem, but does not explain why this is project specific.
jpizzi Posted - Jul 14 2006 : 01:11:04 AM
If you are successful at that, it would be ideal.
dodudo7 Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 05:26:51 AM
Part of the projects were upgraded from VC6 to VS2003, but this upgrade happened more than a year ago and some other projects were created by VS2003, so I don't believe this to be the cause.
Regarding the second question, yes, all the project files are stored on the same drive.
Btw, the problem occurs both when I am working over a ClearCase drive or a regular local drive.
If you would like, I can try to create a sample project and try to reproduce the problem on my computer and sent it to you by e-mail.

feline Posted - Jul 09 2006 : 11:24:48 AM
*puzzled expression*

in the code i normally work on the cpp and .h files are stored in different directories. they live in "source/" and "include/" directories under a common base directory, and i have never seen this happen.

so the fact it is project specific makes sense, but does not explain why.
* do you know if some of the projects were upgraded from an earlier version of the IDE?
* are all of the projects stored on the same hard drive?
dodudo7 Posted - Jul 09 2006 : 09:27:35 AM
All the files are part of the (same) project, but the sources are separated from the includes. I am using the "track activity in solution explorer" so I can see the selected files highlighted in the solution explorer.
I observed that this behaviour does not occur in all the projects, but I can't see any difference between the projects that reproduce the problem and those that don't.
feline Posted - Jul 04 2006 : 6:44:57 PM
odd. are the files in the solution? are they in a different project in the solution to the current file?
i used alt-g to jump to files on a different drive, so i certainly should have seen paths in the alt-g menu if that was the trigger.

really i need to be able to reproduce the problem, so i can provide the steps to the developers before raising a case.

if you have "track activity in solution explorer" turned on that will allow you to see what is going on with the files.
dodudo7 Posted - Jul 03 2006 : 08:35:35 AM

My guess is that it happens because the implementations found are on files located on different directories than the current open file where the ALT+G was pressed.
feline Posted - Jul 02 2006 : 2:37:25 PM
so far i cannot reproduce this, i am not getting any file paths on alt-g. using VS2003 and VA 1526.
the files that are listed, are they part of your project, or external libraries? i have set up a test using files that are part of my project, so this may be the difference.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000