Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Wordwrapping comments

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 19 2006 : 1:38:58 PM
since you guys already have code in there to wordwrap code, what about comments?

say i had a function declaration like:

// Prepares the property descriptor for the given propertyId to the be added to a page. If ReturnedDescriptor.m_propertyId is zero, the property is not to be added at all.
    virtual void PreAddPropertyToPageInternal(int propertyId, 
     const CWinsonPageDescriptor& PageDescriptor,
     CWinsonPropertyDescriptor& ReturnedDescriptor)const override;

is there any way there could be a word wrap command that would reformat this automatically (respecting the column indicator) to:

// Prepares the property descriptor for the given propertyId to the
// be added to a page.
// If ReturnedDescriptor.m_propertyId is zero, the property is not to
// be added at all.
virtual void PreAddPropertyToPageInternal(int propertyId,
const CWinsonPageDescriptor& PageDescriptor,
CWinsonPropertyDescriptor& ReturnedDescriptor)const override;

maybe same with code as well? this would be EXTEREMELY USEFUL.

thanks

:)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 22 2006 : 2:24:26 PM
you can pick up vim its self from here http://www.vim.org/

as someone who has two quotes on the vim addict's list i can attest to its power and flexibility. in fact i still do quite a lot of my editing in vim.

having said that, vim has two main modes (edit and control) and more keyboard shortcuts than even i know what to do with it has a lot going for it, but it is overkill if you just want word wrap control.

using vim to control the IDE is something i have looked into, the basic idea is you never touch the IDE, you do all of your work, including compiling, via vim and pick up the compile error list in vim rather than the IDE.

under normal conditions vim is *totally* separate to the IDE, and there is no way at all that the VA plugs into vim.

as for code formatting, look at GC and see how many options it has... now consider this, i still could not make it do what i wanted, because it did not have enough options. code formatting is something that whole tomato are very loath to touch, for good reasons.

tom, have you used viemu? i have often wondered about this, but the only features of vim i normally miss in the IDE are increment number, decrement number, move to character and macro's. do you know if it offers any of these?

as for vim verses the IDE, the main problem with vim is no intellisense. ctags and tag completion is GOOD, but it is not the same. i know vim 7 now offers some form of intellisense, but i have yet to compile it on my UNIX box to try this out.
tom_seddon Posted - Jul 22 2006 : 08:40:51 AM
http://www.viemu.com/

Works well with VAX. Much better than vim+VS.NET plugin, though if you don't *have* to use VS.NET I always found vim+ctags+custom keyboard shortcuts pretty good.
jpizzi Posted - Jul 22 2006 : 12:56:22 AM
Um, no. But, Vim has a feature (at least for older versions of VS) where it can replace the editor in VS, allowing you to use it instead of the VS editor. I shudder to think how this might interact with VA.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 21 2006 : 3:36:19 PM
and VAX plugs into it, right?
bugfix Posted - Jul 21 2006 : 2:56:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_%28text_editor%29
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 21 2006 : 2:16:39 PM
sorry but what is VIM? where can i get it?

thanx
jpizzi Posted - Jul 21 2006 : 01:33:51 AM
I am pretty sure that Vim can do that.

I would use GC.
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 20 2006 : 7:26:03 PM
oh never mind, i thought you had something like that here:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4933

too bad you don't want to get into code formatting a little bit :(
feline Posted - Jul 20 2006 : 5:57:37 PM
where do you think we have word wrap code? off hand nothing that reminds me of word wrap is coming to mind, so it could be very obvious and i am just not spotting it

my main concern here is that we are moving towards the "code formatting" idea here, which is something we try to keep well clear of, since it can be such a mine field.

isn't there some form of macro that ships by default with one of the IDE's that does something like this for comments? or am i remembering a plugin / feature in vim?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000