Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1530: Find References and CPU Spin

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
accord Posted - Jul 26 2006 : 4:42:47 PM
I have found a CPU Spin, and I can reproduce it.

In VS 2005 do the following:
1. Create a New Win32 Project. (Press Finish, default settings will be fine)
2. Click "szWindowClass" symbol (in Line 12) and then Choose Find References from VAssistX menu (will found 4 references)
3. Copy a whole line (with enter), for example "// Global Variables:" (Line 9)
4. Press F8. Visual Studio now selects the "szWindowClass" symbol.
5. Write some character. VS replaces the symbol
6. Alt+Backspace (Undo command), and the symbol appears again.
7. Press Home.
8. Press Ctrl+V (paste)
9. Press F8 -> CPU Spin (VS freeze)

(Then sometimes requied to repeat the step 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 about 2-3 times for CPU Spin)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jpizzi Posted - Jul 29 2006 : 12:49:14 AM
Since you already sent a call stack (you said you did, anyway), I was going to see what came of that. But, you are right. I will look. If there is no case already created, I will create one (providing that I can repro it again today).

case=1876
accord Posted - Jul 28 2006 : 06:10:56 AM
"I was able to reproduce this."

Great! I am happy :) Could you please create a case for this? :)

Tip: Can it be the problem that VAX tries to select the symbol, but the line has already moved? Maybe VS2005's editor do not like this. :)

In this case the VS2005's own Find All References jumps to wrong line and selects nothing.
jpizzi Posted - Jul 28 2006 : 02:44:30 AM
I was able to reproduce this. Unfortunately, attaching with another instance and breaking into the process did not yield a call stack (I got the message, "No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed."
accord Posted - Jul 27 2006 : 5:49:39 PM
I have played a little more with this bug, and I think this is not exactly a CPU spin. Yes, the IDE freezes, the hourglass appears, but there is no thread with 100% CPU load. All thread is about 0% in the task manager.

Asking to feline's question: there is no other plug-ins installed and currently there is no other computer with VS2005 and VAX 15xx installed near me.

(I tried to close all docked window except "VA Find References Results", and tried to choose any other keyboard shortcut for "Edit.GoToNextLocation" in tools/customize/keyboard button but neither of them avoid the freeze)

It is maybe a rare bug in VS2005 IDE.

So it would be nice to create a VAX command, keyboard shortcut or menu item into VAssistX main menu for goto to next reference in the "VA Find References Results" window. Something like "VAssist.NextReference" :)

If I remember correctly in Visual Studio 2003 (and probably in 6.0) there is no general keyboard shortcut that can be use for step to next Reference.

So VS2003 users also can profit from this feature. :)

If I'm right, and the error is in the IDE itself, it will resolve my problem also.

What do you think?
accord Posted - Jul 27 2006 : 11:58:00 AM
I have assigned Alt+E to Find References in VS.
I can reproduce the spin without keyboard (using the menu) but could you try to assign Alt+E to find references and try to reproduce again?

I will send you the call stack.
support Posted - Jul 27 2006 : 01:47:04 AM
Can you break into the spinning thread with another instance of the IDE and get a call stack?
feline Posted - Jul 26 2006 : 8:17:18 PM
thank you for the very clear steps. unfortunately i cannot reproduce this *puzzled*
i seem to have followed these steps very carefully, and i have been round the last set of steps about 8 or 10 times, and still no sign of any problems.

do you have access to a different machine, to try this there?
do you have any other plugin's installed?
how "easy" is it to reproduce this? do tiny changes in the details, like using the keyboard rather than the mouse to perform the steps matter?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000