Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Lots of problems when using code generation

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bearhart Posted - Aug 05 2006 : 9:11:08 PM
I am working on a system that uses code generation extensively. I only recently started using VAX (and I love it!) but have been disappointed with some bugs and limitations when using code generation. I know this is a bit off of the beaten path but it doesn't seem like it would take much to fix it.

1) Even with "Watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary" set VAX regularly fails to re-parse newly generated header files. I don't believe it is a load issue because I've tried stopping working to allow the idle processes to work, with no luck.

2) My system uses a C++-ish header file language with the extension ".cmh". The cmh file is used to generate the assocated "h" file as well as modify the cpp file (a-la MFC wizard). Ideally, you don't ever need to see the "h" file so it would be great if Alt-O toggled between the "cmh" file and the "cpp" file.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rhummer Posted - Aug 10 2006 : 1:07:13 PM
Most of the bug reports for 1531 have been aimed toward the new refactoring features. I've been using the 15xx builds since they were first given out in a private beta. I have found it to be very stable.
bearhart Posted - Aug 10 2006 : 12:13:06 PM
Just a curiousity, is 1531 relatively stable? All of the bug reports for 1531 made me a bit nervous.
bearhart Posted - Aug 10 2006 : 12:05:55 PM
I just upgraded to 1446 (as per my other thread "flickering symbol completion".

I'll check out 1530, 1531.

Thanks!
sean Posted - Aug 09 2006 : 2:27:34 PM
Which VA build are you using (see the About page of the VA options dlg)? External modification handling changed recently - so if you aren't using build 1530 or 1531, first upgrade to see if the problem is resolved.
bearhart Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 9:46:19 PM
I'm using VC8.

The most common case I'm referring to is when I change the "cmh" header and then manually compile it which re-writes the "h" header. Usually at this point, I start making corresponding changes in the cpp file and I don't see the VAX updates.

These quick iterations represent the bulk of my work, punctuated by occasional full build and test. To be honest I have no idea how it behaves when a regular build is started because it's rare that I would change a "cmh" and then try to build immediately.
support Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 7:33:03 PM
What IDE are you using? If VC++ 6.0, you may have to save the workspace before VA X will see external changes to files in the project.

If you change a "cmh" header, at what point does the "h" header get saved or regenerated? When you save the cmh? When you build?
bearhart Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 5:36:20 PM
On my dual-core machine I seem to get much better results if I have the newly generated file OIW. Could part of the problem be that it is just too low priority to work reliably on a single-core machine?

The post by feline suggested that the files only need to be OFIW or in the solution. If the file is open in the solution and is modified externally it seems that VAX should re-parse it under any circumstances - no option necessary. In any case, the feature doesn't seem to work unless it's in OFIW.

What is the behavior of the option to watch for externally modified files exactly?
bearhart Posted - Aug 07 2006 : 8:46:40 PM
So I guess the answer would be yes then - the files are in OFIW.

Any ideas? Any tests I should run?
rhummer Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 10:44:24 PM
OFIW = Open Files In Workspace

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/fiw.html?more=yes

The Glossary has a great deal of information :)
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/glossary.html
bearhart Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 10:02:46 PM
Thanks feline!

In response to (1) yes, the files are listed in the solution explorer. They may (or may not) be radically altered - it is proportional to how much the corresponding cmh file is altered. In general, the changes are incremental. In any case, it is all very straightforward: Foo.cmh always generates Foo.h and(possibly) modifies Foo.cpp

I've experimented with loading and unloading the generated header file (or having it pre-loaded and authorizing the re-load in VS). Loading the file after code generation seems to help the most but I have not been able to get any reliable behavior.

What is OFIW?

In response to (2) I'll check it out.

feline Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 4:20:47 PM
point 1, it is possible VA does not know about these new headers. are these new files that are being added to the project? or are existing files being changed radically?

if they are new files, are they actually listed in solution explorer?
if so do they show up in OFIW?
if VA does not know about these header files, since they are not part of the project, that would explain what you are seeing.

point 2, this has been discussed before, but the normal request is to cycle through 3 files with different extensions. for now this is unlikely to happen, since it would require adding options to control how this would work.

on a more positive note you may want to look at the alt-o macro here:

http://www.codeproject.com/macro/VSHelper.asp

you should be able to change this to do what you want quite easily, and then simply bind this macro to a keyboard shortcut, alt-o if you prefer.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000