Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1532: Pauses while importing

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jjlucsy Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 2:34:19 PM
I'm using VS-2003 with VA-1532. On the statusbar in VS, it says VA X: Import ... and goes thru all my forms (of which I have 56). Each one seems to lauch a sub-process labeled VANetObj.dll (as seen from Process Explorer), each with HIGH priority. This pretty much pauses my entire machine for 5-10 seconds each, so this lasts at least a couple of minutes. Even my audio players will pause since they typically run at a lower priority. Its very hard to get anything done during this period.
I'm not sure what its doing, but is there anyway to get it to launch with a HIGH priority?
Thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 25 2006 : 11:51:17 AM
Hopefully disabling the other addin's will make a difference, interaction problems are known but thankfully not to common.

While the IDE is locked up, simply launch a second IDE and attach it to the first IDE. This should allow you to generate a call stack.

Does this lockup happen fairly quickly when editing HTML files, or only after a while?
Does the size or complexity of the HTML file seem to matter?
jjlucsy Posted - Oct 24 2006 : 7:51:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Have you noticed any pattern or trigger to these lock-up's?
Which version of VA are you currently using?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?

Can you get a call stack next time this happens and post it please?

The only pattern so far is that it seems to lockup while editing html files.
I'm user 1539 under VS2003.
Other plugins (that are active) CodeSmith and dotTrace 2.0. Haven't used them in a bit, I'll try disabling them.
As for a stack trace, not sure I can, it doesn't actually crash, but more of an infinite loop.
feline Posted - Oct 24 2006 : 12:39:52 PM
Have you noticed any pattern or trigger to these lock-up's?
Which version of VA are you currently using?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?

Can you get a call stack next time this happens and post it please?
jjlucsy Posted - Oct 24 2006 : 10:03:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

jjlucsy: have you tried a later build to see if this problem was addressed?

Yes, I've been keeping up-to-date with all your beta releases. This particular issue "seems" to be resolved as I no longer get it to behave exactly like it did before. However, now I have the occasional "lockup" where the IDE takes all CPU resources and never stops. Killing the IDE and restarting always fixes the issue, but it seems to be unrelated to the previous issue.
sean Posted - Oct 24 2006 : 02:43:03 AM
jjlucsy: have you tried a later build to see if this problem was addressed?
support Posted - Aug 17 2006 : 2:04:18 PM
To be fixed in build 1533.
jjlucsy Posted - Aug 17 2006 : 1:53:13 PM
BTW, the problem is getting worse. It used to do it only once per session, but now seems to doing it many times per session.
jjlucsy Posted - Aug 16 2006 : 12:02:44 PM
I fould a way to reproduce the problem. I just need to open the project, then open the code for a form and make a small change. It will then scan the forms that are referenced within that form. For my MainForm, it references nearly every other form in the project, of which is 20+ forms. It took nearly 4 minutes to do its thing, during which my system was nearly unusable. I've send the logs to support. Let me know if you need anything else.
feline Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 7:35:57 PM
there is a performance problem with the IDE's code parsing in VS2005 with C++, especially if you have a lot of code. changes to header files are a good way to trigger the IDE off in my experience. there is a hot fix available from Microsoft for this, but the effect is limited to C++, so will not be effecting you in C#
support Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 6:46:56 PM
We will examine our policy regarding priorities. We understand the concern.

If you find a way to reproduce the pausing reliably, please enable logging on the performance node of our options dialog and reproduce the problem. Send us the logs. Get detailed steps in the last FAQ:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html
jjlucsy Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 5:06:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by support
Are you rebuilding the solutions that are imported?

No, not a usual occurance. I do switch between VS6,VS2002,VS2003, and VS2005 quite often as we have projects that require each of those.
Again, I'll let you know if I can find a way to reliably duplicate the issue. The original post was just inquiring if you could tone down the priority as its not typical to have high priority threads without a very good reason.
support Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 2:34:36 PM
VA X should launch the threads only the first time you open a project. We wonder what causes it to repeat the exercise.

Are you rebuilding the solutions that are imported?
jjlucsy Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 10:33:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by support

Does it do this every time you open the project?

No, doesn't seem to do it every time. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern yet. It _seems_ most likely to do it after the solution/project settings have been modified. The solution consists of 3 C# projects and 1 Managed C++ project. I will, of course, keep an eye on it. I've been terribly busy lately, so I haven't had the time to really sit down and figure out its cause.

FYI: There is a similar situation, but seems unrelated, in VS2005 with C++ projects when modifing the project properties. After a modification like a preprocessor symbol change, there is a 10-20 second period where it seems to rescan the project and the CPU is pegged. However, I can continue working, its just slow.
support Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 8:38:46 PM
Does it do this every time you open the project?
feline Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 6:52:46 PM
i will ask support about this one. it is *possible* that the IDE is the main cause of the slow down here, although what you are seeing seems quite clear cut. VS2005 seems quite willing to bring my machine to its knee's all on its own *sigh*

normally VA's is very careful to avoid having to much impact on the general system, to avoid just these sort of problems.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000