Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1532: . to -> conversion... argh...

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 3:44:15 PM
There is one totally annoying bug: converting a . to a -> when replacing a selection.

Gets me everytime I insert the try/catch autotext and replace the nice "catch (CException* e)" with "catch(...)"

To repro, just insert the autotext entry, select the "CException* e" and type 3 dots. You end up with "catch(->..)"
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 19 2006 : 01:55:05 AM
Case 2069 is fixed in build 1535.
khb Posted - Aug 17 2006 : 02:09:18 AM
Hmm, a lot of software I never heard of Thank you all for your hints!

Regards,
Marcus.
Uniwares Posted - Aug 16 2006 : 7:00:28 PM
Exam-Diff is nice, full featured, although a bit slow for my taste. I really still like the appearance and display of Araxis Merge the best. Especially the display how left and right pane relates to each other is extremly helpful.
feline Posted - Aug 16 2006 : 6:56:37 PM
while i like WinDiff i do find it difficult to use when i need to diff two directories, but that is thankfully rare. i think i need to look into some of these others and see what they are like to use.
sean Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 11:24:37 PM
I'll throw Exam-Diff Pro into the mix...
http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_examdiffpro
Uniwares Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 11:16:03 PM
Beyond Compare looks almost as good as Araxis Merge. But still, Araxis has some features I would not like to miss. But then again, its only for text and its only my opinion.
jpizzi Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 9:51:46 PM
I liked Winmerge. But, then I found Beyond Compare. Not free, but very nice, especially if you frequently diff the same pair of directories, etc. Beyond Compare allows you to setup "sessions" that can contain the directories (or files) to compare, along with the settings for that session (like ignore file patterns, include only certain files, ignore or flag line ending differences, etc.). It is only $30(US), and also has plug-ins for hex, music, database, and image differences.
feline Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 7:18:03 PM
the default C++ autotext file that ships with VA is 4 times the size of my C++ autotext file, and they have about 15 lines in common

plus my autotext file gets edited every few days as i dream up new things to try, or re-order the entries.

i have not let VA touch my autotext files in years! when i want to know if anything interesting is going on i use winmerge

http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/
khb Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 02:38:35 AM
How about a "Merging autotext" function? This way self defined autotext entries could be added to the new standard autotext file. Even more: If a new standard autotext entry is different from that one the user is using, then a dialog could display both versions. This way the user could decide which version to take. Also allowing modifications of an entry in this stage by the user would complete the feature.

Regards,
Marcus.
sean Posted - Aug 15 2006 : 12:29:32 AM
The autotext entries rarely change. The forum build release annoucements indicate when they've been updated. There haven't been any changes since March. The refactoring autotext items are updated without installing new autotext files.
jpizzi Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 10:18:54 PM
Yea, repeatedly fixing the autotext entries has gotten to me, too. Whenever I am prompted with the "overwrite your current settings", I am continually torn between yes, in case there are some new, handy ones, and no, to save my customized ones. Yes, I know that I can say no, then look into the new ones, I just never seem to get around to that...
Uniwares Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 10:14:04 PM
Yes, works. Just "overtyping" does produce the replacement.
I could also change the autotext entry, but then again, I am somewhat tired of always fixing the auto text entries the way i like them. Given up on that already.
jpizzi Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 10:11:13 PM
Does <delete>... work as a work-around?
support Posted - Aug 14 2006 : 6:12:05 PM
case=2069

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000