Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1532: Suggestion list problem

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
khb Posted - Aug 17 2006 : 02:41:07 AM
I had to add the line using namespace std; to several files and ran into a problem with the suggestion list. The problem appears only right after activating a source code window: Typing the letters usi in order to get the suggestion using namespace ; fails in most cases. After typing us I always get the suggestion using, but when I then add the i, the suggestion list disappears. When I then remove the i and retype it, the suggestion using namespace ; appears.

I have all windows floating, VC6, Win XP, no further plug-ins.

Regards,
Marcus.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
khb Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 03:00:42 AM
Thank you for caring about this, feline. It's really a tiny, but annoying bug. I face it nearly everytime, especially when adding the problematic line to new files. I already got used to auto-completion so much

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Aug 26 2006 : 1:26:34 PM
i will ask support if they have any ideas on this one. i do a lot of work with a dual core processor workstation and a C++ solution with 83 projects. even when the CPU is under very heavy load autotext is very reliable for me. however i am using VS2005 on that machine, so that could be a big factor.
khb Posted - Aug 22 2006 : 02:55:08 AM
I just simply used the task manager. I have a handful of programs running. For my CPU hyper threading is enabled, so a load of 50% should say that one thread is at its maximum (if I got that right). The average load is at about 5% to 10%. The highest peak I saw while doing the autotext test was 44%. On the workspace with 30 projects I can constantly reproduce the problem for a file (just tried it 20 times or so).

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Aug 21 2006 : 7:03:44 PM
grasping at straws here, could you try running a CPU monitor to watch for any big spikes or heavy load. i have occasionally seen autotext not popup the first time i type the shortcut, but this is a very rare problem for me.

if your system is under very heavy load when this failed then that would make a degree of sense.

beyond that i will ask support, to see if they have any ideas.

it is certainly true that you are getting some tricky problems here. on the plus side at least they have some form of pattern
khb Posted - Aug 21 2006 : 03:51:05 AM
You did exactly what I did. Anyway, this problem drives me mad. Meanwhile I rebooted my system, I guess the first time after installing build 1532. I not able to reproduce the problem for a new project/workspace. However, it still appears on a workspace with 30 projects in it. But it doesn't happen everytime like it did last week. I didn't find out a pattern yet. I doesn't matter whether the files are freshly opened or not. It doesn't matter whether the files are in distinct projects or not. It doesn't matter if I use "backspace" or "undo" to erase the test lines. The problem reappears after switching between the windows, but not all the time, but still quite frequently. Did I mention that I seem to get always the hard nuts to crack?

If you have another idea what I can try out, please let me know.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Aug 19 2006 : 11:07:52 AM
i have just run the following test:

* in VC6 with VA 1532 i opened a project.
* i them made sure i had exactly two code windows open, both cpp files.
* the windows are floating, and overlapping slightly
* i am clicking in first one file and then the other
* each time i click into a file, on a blank like i type "usi", when i do this i get an autotext suggestion for "using namespace ;"

if i understand correctly all you need to do to reproduce this problem is to click into the other window with the mouse and then start typing. is this correct?

i have tried this 10 or 15 times in each file, deleting the "usi" with the backspace key each time, after the autotext suggestion has appeared. i swapped files by clicking with the mouse before each test. in every single test the correct autotext suggestion came up.

am i missing something obvious? so far the only obvious difference is the OS, i am running on win2k, but that should not matter.
khb Posted - Aug 18 2006 : 05:23:48 AM
I'm not at work today, but I'm quite sure that using namespace ; is an autotext entry (i.e., it has an 'A' icon). The using entry has an '?' icon, if I remember that correctly.

I can reproduce the problem with two source code windows. This means, both files are already open. I have the windows in floating mode and they are overlapping each other a bit. This way I can activate the windows alternately by just single-clicking at them.

If you need some more information, please let me know.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Aug 17 2006 : 7:44:25 PM
is this an autotext listbox? it is for me, it has an 'A' icon.
so far i cannot reproduce this using VC6 and VA 1532.

when you talk about a newly activated source window was this source file open in the IDE already, or did you open it? if you opened it how did you do so?

i have tried opening a source file by double clicking in the file list. i am wondering if you are using a different method, and if that might be a factor.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000