Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1532: Phantom tooltip from deleted line

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kevinsikes Posted - Aug 22 2006 : 12:56:29 PM
I've found in 1532 that when deleting a few lines of text, then hovering the cursor on one of the remaining lines, VA X gives a tooltip defining a symbol from a deleted line:

Before:

After:

If you save the file before hovering, the correct tooltip is shown.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1532.0 built 2006.08.10
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.6
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.8
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.6030.0 (Service Pack 1)
msenv.dll version 7.10.6030.0
Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 16(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
d:\\compiler\\sdkfeb03\\include;
d:\\compiler\\DX9\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;
d:\\compiler\\ntddk\\inc;
d:\\compiler\\mp3;
d:\\compiler\\qdesign;
d:\\compiler\\wmsdk\\wmfsdk9\\include;
d:\\compiler\\sentinel;
d:\\compiler\\id3lib-3.8.3\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 2:07:26 PM
I wasn't able to repro in vs2005 but was able to in vs2003 using Ctrl+Shift+L in the default keymap. case=2396
feline Posted - Sep 03 2006 : 5:32:09 PM
i have now added the Edit -> Line Delete toolbar button to my toolbar in VS2003 and i am a bit closer to this. i am getting the wrong tooltip, but it looks like it is only lasting for maybe 10 or 20 seconds.

so i am a little bit closer, but i am still not seeing the same sort of delay as you *sigh* hopefully your settings will help shed some light on this.
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 9:20:10 PM
Nope, I can create a brand new solution and experience the problem. I'll export my settings and send them to Support, referencing this thread.
feline Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 4:40:08 PM
*um*

yep, *um* sums it up quite well.

seeing the same thing on the single P3 machine means we can discount multiple processors as an issue. plus this seems to be specific to the LineDelete command. but if so why does it not happen when i do this? logically there has got to be something specific that you are doing that i am overlooking.

did you use the same solution on the two different machines? or did you create a new test on each machine? my only guess at the minute is that this is somehow solution specific.
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 4:49:29 PM
I can wait many tens of seconds with the same outcome. Only by saving the file, or switching to another file in the editor (or to another application on the computer) and coming back to the source file is the issue resolved. The tooltips are off by n lines, where n is the number of lines I deleted. So in your code example, if I place the caret on the line "nValue = AAC_BITRATE_10000" and delete 3 lines, then hover over "nValue = AAC_BITRATE_50000", I get a tooltip showing "#define AAC_BITRATE_20000 2"

I have tried this on 2 different computers, one running XP Media Center Edition on a hyperthreaded P4, and the other on a Win2000 box with a single P3; both have the same problem.

I did notice that if I select text and press Delete, then the tooltips are correct. Using LineDelete, either from a bound keystroke or toolbar button, causes the problem.

feline Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 4:03:10 PM
ahha! having mapped alt-d to LineDelete i am able to reproduce this, but only just! i am able to use my left hand to trigger alt-d to delete the current line and my right hand to move the mouse over the next line, to see the tooltip. if i get the mouse there fast enough then i get the wrong tooltip.

however "fast enough" is something like under a second. if i am just slightly to slow then i get the correct tooltip.

going back to your origional post it sounds like you can wait quite a long time and you still get the wrong tooltip. is this true? what happens if you wait about 5 seconds?
kevinsikes Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 4:47:19 PM
I am deleting the lines by pressing Alt+D, which I have mapped to the VS command LineDelete. The caret is typically in the middle or end of a line when I press the keystroke.

I navigated away by switching to my screen capture program, then back to VS to take the screen shot. Either time or context switching allowed VA X to catch up.
feline Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 4:32:23 PM
the new machine is now up and running, which should be useful in future. i am making the assumption that a dual processor machine is going to behave the same as a hyperthreading system as far as VA is concerned.

i have just re-run the same test, and still no problems. i am always getting the correct tooltips.

i have just tried turning off VA's enhanced syntax highlighting for tooltips, and infact everything except the source code its self, and that made no difference.

when you say "navigate away from the text editor and back" what are you doing? i wonder if it is simply the time taken, or if some other factor is at work here.
feline Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 1:44:23 PM
i am currently setting up a dual core virtual machine test system. when the system is up and running i will run this test there.

for now i have re-tested this in my normal test system, and it still works perfectly for me.

how are you deleting the lines? this is clutching at straws, but it might matter.
i am placing the caret in the first column, and then using the down arrow + shift to select entire lines, and then i am pressing the delete key to delete them. next i am giving VA a second or two to catch up before hovering the mouse over one of the remaining lines, and i am getting the correct tooltip.
kevinsikes Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 12:52:02 AM
Hi Colin,

Your code results in the same behavior in a new Win32 project on my machine. This is after a complete reinstall of 1533:

I either have to save the file to wake up the parser, or as I discovered while trying to take a screen shot, allow an inordinate amount of time and/or navigate away from the text editor and back.

I have Perforce integration, but it is not implemented as an add-in; VS simply loads the SCC-compatible DLL. The only thing that shows up in Add-In Manager is VA X. I do have a HyperThreading CPU, which seems to pop up as a suspect now and then on the forum.
feline Posted - Aug 26 2006 : 1:54:41 PM
using VS2003, C++ and VA 1533 i cannot reproduce this. i am using the test code:

#define AAC_BITRATE_10000 1
#define AAC_BITRATE_20000 2
#define AAC_BITRATE_30000 3
#define AAC_BITRATE_40000 4
#define AAC_BITRATE_50000 5
#define AAC_BITRATE_60000 6
#define AAC_BITRATE_70000 7
#define AAC_BITRATE_80000 8
#define AAC_BITRATE_90000 9

static int getCounter()
{
    int nValue;
    nValue = AAC_BITRATE_10000;
    nValue = AAC_BITRATE_20000;
    nValue = AAC_BITRATE_30000;
    nValue = AAC_BITRATE_40000;
    nValue = AAC_BITRATE_50000;

return 3;
}

and deleting lines from the function, and then hovering over the #define. can you try this test code on your system and see what result you get? it is possible this only happens with more complex code, or that there is some other difference.

do you have any other plugin's installed?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000