Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1532: Overloaded * operator affects tooltips

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thruska Posted - Aug 24 2006 : 12:45:49 PM
VAX Intellisense gets confused when an overloaded dereference (*) operator is used. The following code is perfectly valid:

BString TempData;

TempData = "Test\\0Test";
TempData = *TempData.Uppercase();

The resulting string in TempData is "TEST" (without the quotes and no terminating null - BString doesn't need one). Uppercase() returns a type of BString. The overloaded dereference operator returns a type of (signed char *). The order of operations are to execute the Uppercase() method on TempData and then execute a dereference (overloaded) on the temporary BString that Uppercase() returns. If I type:

TempData = *TempData.

VAX incorrectly converts this to:

TempData = *TempData->

Hovering over TempData also displays the wrong tooltip. I should be seeing the data type of TempData and not the overloaded dereference operator's prototype. I'd expect to see the overloaded dereference operator prototype when hovering over the dereference operator (if that's even possible).

Default Intellisense doesn't have any problems with continuing to type after the '.' is entered and also displays the appropriate drop-down list. (VAX doesn't display anything because it converts the . to -> which results in an incorrect code path that wouldn't compile anyway).
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 8:03:24 PM
Case 2254 is fixed in 1538.
thruska Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 4:39:46 PM
BString is from "Safe C++ Design Principles" (a book I wrote). BString's source is included in that book and is a class I use extensively in my software products and is not related to anything GNU. It combines the best aspects of BASIC, Perl, PHP, C, C++ (STL string), MFC CString, and leaves out the worthless features. It also includes a couple things that I came up with to make life easier when interfacing with 3rd party libraries - for example, the * dereference operator. You don't recognize this class because very few people know about it (the book is relatively "new" and I don't talk about BString that often).
feline Posted - Aug 26 2006 : 6:11:56 PM
where are you getting BString from? this is not a class i recognise, and a quick google suggests it might be a GNU class.

i have created a test class that reproduces these problems. dot being converted to -> on a class instance is:

case=2254

the odd tooltip on the instance with the * in front is:

case=2255

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000