Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1532: Bold stays after task switch (minor)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thruska Posted - Aug 25 2006 : 04:21:32 AM
Found an interesting bug. It keeps parenthesis, braces, etc. bolded even though the cursor is no longer inside the various blocks of code.

Open an Explorer/My Computer window. Make sure the window doesn't overlap the code. Click in VS.NET to bold a set of parenthesis/braces/etc. Then use the taskbar to switch to the Explorer window. Now click on another set of parenthesis/braces/etc. to bold it. You'll note that the first set does not return to normal. Repeat this a few more times.

Then, select VS.NET and scroll around the code. You'll note that items that were bold are normal except for the current set. This appears to be a repaint issue because switching to an application that covers over the VS IDE causes the IDE to repaint properly when the IDE is displayed later.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thruska Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 7:32:44 PM
"a memory like that must help at times! i have a good eye for detail, but i wont claim to be that good"

Yeah, but I'm terrible at memorizing people's names. I can remember faces instantly, but I can't match a name to the face unless the name is "unique". The English language is insufficient for describing faces.

Try putting your taskbar on the left. It took me one week to adapt to the change and now I can't stand being on a PC with the taskbar on the bottom with all those squished icons. Besides, vertical screen real-estate is more valuable than horizontal these days (it used to be the other way around).
feline Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 4:41:42 PM
10 to 40 windows open, that sounds a lot like my machine it starts to get really bad when a couple of those windows are virtual machines, and you have more windows open inside of those machines...

as for moving between them, you may find windows_key + tab to be useful. i rely on a combination of this (it places keyboard focus onto the taskbar, i tend not to use the mouse if i can avoid it) and task switch XP to handle all of my windows. i have long since reached the point that i cannot live without these two.

a memory like that must help at times! i have a good eye for detail, but i wont claim to be that good
thruska Posted - Aug 28 2006 : 5:11:30 PM
I have my taskbar on the left-hand side of the screen. At any given time, I have anywhere from 10-40 windows open. It is a lot easier to task switch with the mouse than mess with Alt+Tab even though I have "TaskSwitchXP" installed to make that easier. However, most of my windows are full screen. Discovering this bug was by sheer accident, but was inevitable at the same time. I have the unfortunate tendency to find about 100 bugs per month spread over multiple software packages because I'm extremely observant. I'm sure others have seen this bug but couldn't figure out why it was doing what it did - let alone how to repeat it (i.e. most people just mentally assume weird things like this are "flukes"). I also have a memory that keeps track of every mouse click and keypress I ever make (photographic memory). So, repeating bugs is fairly simple for me: Repeat what I just did to verify the steps to reproduce the bug and then document it.

This bug was one of the more entertaining ones I've run into recently. Glad you enjoyed it. It is pretty harmless. Hopefully your colleagues get to see it before it gets fixed. Depending on their sense of humor (and how geeky they are), they may find it to be a fun 30 second diversion from real work.
feline Posted - Aug 27 2006 : 11:00:41 AM
that is rather amusing, i managed to get 6 sets of brackets all bold at once with a bit of digging to find some really bracket heavy code i should be able to manage more.

as you move the caret around the screen the stray bold brackets are cleaned up as VA redraws them. as you say, simply a repaint issue. i have never noticed this happening, which is interesting considering i am always swapping programs, but i never tend to click into the IDE with the mouse, preferring to use the keyboard to swap programs.

case=2263

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000