Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Assist X causes Visual C++ 6 to hang

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JADS Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 04:11:15 AM
I've been having severe problems with a very large workspace since I installed Visual Assist X. The workspace consists of hundreds of subprojects with thousands if not tens of thousands of files between them.

The symptoms are as follows:
Visual C++ hangs when attempting to save a file.
Visual C++ hangs when attempting to open a file.
Visual C++ hangs during debugging trying to open files.

I managed to get an error box once stating it couldn't create an empty document?!

I disabled VAX and still noticed the problem, but found that a VAX thread was still running in the background. I also noticed that VAX appears to build up a huge store of unsaved files and project meta data in its own folder. Now interestingly when I deleted this folder the problems relented somewhat only to return when the folder grew large again.

I get the feeling this bug might be caused by VAXs autosave feature, but it is difficult to track down. I've removed VAX and I'm having no problems now, but I'd prefer to have it installed.

I really think with the complexity of VAX that all features within it need to have on/off switches so at least they can be switched off if they don't happen to work too well with a particular IDE.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 07 2006 : 11:23:00 AM
Try creating a zero-byte read-only ncb file. The IDE will complain when you open the workspace, just press ok. Workspace should load faster but classview will be empty.
JADS Posted - Sep 07 2006 : 11:12:47 AM
1534 didn't help :(
JADS Posted - Sep 07 2006 : 03:46:30 AM
The workspace window is interesting as I forgot to mention that quite often it doesn't draw properly.
support Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 3:46:12 PM
From what we see in the logs, there might be a fix in build 1534.

Can you try 1534?
sean Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 12:12:54 PM
In my own tests in the past, VC6 doesn't work well with VERY large workspaces. I wouldn't be surprised if VA makes it worse. see http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3836

Does your workspace window draw properly?

Have you tried creating a read-only zero byte ncb file?
JADS Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 04:25:24 AM
I sent over a big log file to support so hopefully that may help, fingers crossed :)
feline Posted - Sep 05 2006 : 4:37:29 PM
i will chaise support about this. any chance of a call stack or log file of this happening?

i appreciate this is difficult if you have had to uninstall VA in order to get any work done *sigh*
JADS Posted - Sep 05 2006 : 10:19:42 AM
I did try removing the opt and ncb files as a first thought with VAX installed and must say it had no effect. Removing VAX has solved these issues and allowed me to get on with my work and debugging code. To give you an idea of how severe this problem is:

- Visual Studio takes on average 2-3 minutes to load.
- It takes a further 3-5 minutes to figure out what parts of the 200+ different workspaces it needs to link.
- A compile and link can take another 4-5 minutes.

If it then crashes I've just lost 10 to 13 minutes development time and with VAX installed it typically crashes 3 times every hour.

Unfortunately I have no access to any other IDE like 2003 or 2005 so I'm stuck here as I can't use VAX with those kinds of issues.
schoenherr Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 01:18:30 AM
these problems sound very familar to me:
i often had the first two problems: in this case i have the feeling that deleting the ncb and opt file was the solution, so this is probably not a VAX bug (though like in much other cases discussed in this forums the presence of VAX seems to make ncb related problems to occur more frequently)
the third (debugging) problem was realy a pain for me and my co-workers especially while debugging multithreaded applications, but i didn't suspect VAX to be the problem. But i think this idea is worth to verify. Maybe its also a ncb related problem of the ide which is bumped through the presence of VAX (i'll check this)

JADS: maybe you can use the same (semi-) workaround like we did: using VS2003 or VS2005 for debugging purposes significantly reduced the amount of hangs during debugging (though not completly solved the problem)

IMHO it would be very important that VAX developers could check this, because this is nearly a show-stopper esspecialy for developers that do not have a copy of VS2003 or VS2005 at work.
support Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 10:32:15 AM
Do you have any other add-ins installed? Check Tools|Customize|Add-ins. If so, try disabling them (and restarting your IDE.)

Can you get a call stack of a hung thread? (Preferably with the latest beta.)

If you can get the IDE into a state where you can reproduce the problem, can you enable logging on our Performance tab and generate logs for us? (See the bottom of our faq.)

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html
JADS Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 05:37:24 AM
I should mention that this bug is reproducable in the latest official build and all beta builds.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000