Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Macros in Parameter Suggestion Tooltips (VS2005)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
3dSorcery Posted - Sep 08 2006 : 11:18:54 AM
Hey There..

The issue that I'm having is with macro expansion inside the function parameter tooltips. I was wondering if there was any way to make this work or if it's just not supported. There is a checkbox under options titled "Evaluate all macros used in definitions", but this doesn't seem to fix the problem. VS2005 (and 2003 as well, I believe) will do this automatically, and it works fine if I turn VA off. If you would like a screen shot of what I'm talking about I can provide one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Chris
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
3dSorcery Posted - Sep 15 2006 : 8:24:58 PM
Awesome!

Sounds good. Can't wait to see if it gets added :)
support Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 10:43:04 AM
We confirmed VS2005 resolves macros within paramater tooltips; VA X does not. One can make an argument for either case.

We wrote up a request to make VA X display both, i.e.:

1 of 2 ADD_ARGS
2 of 2 int a, int b

case=2527
jpizzi Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 02:15:13 AM
Are you asking for expansion in the tooltip only, or actually in the code if a suggestion is accepted?
3dSorcery Posted - Sep 13 2006 : 10:22:30 AM
I agree that there may be cases where that behavior wouldn't be desired, so I think that it makes a great checkbox in the options :)
sean Posted - Sep 13 2006 : 02:08:58 AM
It's not currently supported but since vs2005 does it that way we'll have to at least consider it. Off hand, I would wonder if there are more cases where that behavior would not be welcome though.
rhummer Posted - Sep 12 2006 : 11:23:20 PM
This is a tough one for to make a call on IMO.

By default I wouldn't expect the macro to expand when used in that way.

I'll query support on this to get their take.
V.Solo Posted - Sep 12 2006 : 10:18:08 PM

[offtopic]
3dSorcery :
<cough>, <cough>
[/offtopic]
3dSorcery Posted - Sep 12 2006 : 7:23:16 PM
Bump.... Should I be putting this in the requested features?
3dSorcery Posted - Sep 08 2006 : 10:05:41 PM
Sure,

First, I'm defining a macro that contains function parameters. I do this because the same function parameters show up in about 5 different levels of code (because of the complex class hierarchy) and I don't want to have to touch the code in 5 places to make a change. So something like this for exampe...

#define ADD_ARGS int a, int b

Then I declare the function...

int AddFunc(ADD_ARGS);

Then when I use the function, the intellisense for the parameter list shows up as (ADD_ARGS) when I'm expecting to see (int a, int b).

Again, the main reason that I feel visual assist SHOULD do this is because the default VS2005 (and 2003 I think) do this and it's extremely helpful.
support Posted - Sep 08 2006 : 1:46:39 PM
Can you post a simple example of what you expect and what you get?
jpizzi Posted - Sep 08 2006 : 1:21:38 PM
I want to say that it is just not supported. But, I don't know that for sure.

Support?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000