Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1534: Refactor hangs VS2005 with read-only files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pbrown Posted - Sep 11 2006 : 5:17:42 PM
My source code control system (Perforce) is configured to treat files not checked out for edit as read-only. In the Visual Studio options, I have disabled "Allow editing of Read-only Files" in the "Environment/Documents" section. (Don't remember if that's the default setting or not...)

I attempted a rename operation (VAssistX->Refactor->Rename) on 1534 where one of the affected files was not opened for edit. During the rename operation, VS2005 pops up a dialog box asking what I should do on that file. However, the dialog box does not accept any mouse or keyboard input, probably because the VAX rename operation is in progress. The VAX rename command doesn't complete, probably because VS2005 is waiting for input. The only way out is to terminate VS2005 completely using the task manager.

This doesn't repro if I enable editing of read-only files.

Hopefully, this is easily reproduced.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 16 2006 : 10:06:17 AM
that is nasty. i have increased the urgency on this case.

for now the work around is to thrin this setting back on in the IDE's options, or to be very careful when using rename. you can use Find References on the variable or member function you are going to rename, before you rename it, to see if it is used in any files that you have not yet checked out.

this is not an ideal work around, but it may help.
jpizzi Posted - Sep 11 2006 : 11:08:45 PM
Yes, easily reproduced, and a known issue.

case=2153

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000