Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 'Create implementation' / 'Create declaration'

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
peterboulton Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 06:09:49 AM
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1534.0 built 2006.09.02.

Under what circumstances do 'Create implementation' / 'Create declaration' work or fail? I'm running VS2005 and using them in a C++ project.

When I select them from the menu, the IDE switches to the other file correctly (i.e. from .h to .cpp for 'Create implementation' and vice versa) but nothing gets entered into the target file.

Pete
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 17 2006 : 2:10:12 PM
it is possible they will fail if the autotext entries for refactoring are missing. however the default entries should be automatically generated, if missing, the first time you run a particular refactoring.

if you run into this problem again can you go into VA Options -> Text Editor -> Autotext -> Edit Autotext
and under the C++ node look for:

Refactor Create Implementation
Refactor Encapsulate Field
Refactor Document Method
Refactor Extract Method

if they are missing and do not appear then that is probably the problem, but it leaves us needing to work out why they are not being generated.

being able to specify the position of the newly generated code has been discussed before

case=2161
peterboulton Posted - Sep 15 2006 : 03:48:02 AM
OP here. Hmmmmm - I'm sure I wasn't seeing things yesterday. But this morning I've had a quick try on the source/header file I was seeing the described (lack of) behaviour, and also in a new test project and it seems to be working fine today! It would be nice if one could control whether the declaration goes into the public:, private: or protected part of the class header file, but it's going in, which as far as I can tell it wasn't yesterday.

I will monitor the situation and post some example code if I can reliably reproduce what my original post described.

In the meantime, I'm very sorry. Seems to be a case of premature posting.

Pete
jpizzi Posted - Sep 15 2006 : 12:57:44 AM
As far as I know, what you are trying should work just fine. Can you post an example of the code that is failing? Can you paste the affected code into a new project and have it still fail?
peterboulton Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 07:15:36 AM
Hi Marcus. The files are under source code management but are checked out and RW. I have a class and a second class derived from the first file in the same cpp/h files. But I would expect it to work in this situation, surely?

Or does the insert position in the 'other' file need to be positioned in the required line for it to work?
khb Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 06:56:27 AM
You might check if the file that isn't modified is read-only. If some refactoring functions don't work for me (VC6) then this is the reason in most cases.

Regards,
Marcus.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000