Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 working on different versions of same project

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eco Posted - Sep 18 2006 : 03:38:43 AM
I'm frequently working on different versions (8 for now) of the same project and it seem that VA keep symbols for all projects in the same location and get confused.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eco Posted - Sep 20 2006 : 03:04:43 AM
Ho, the sources are not the same, in project 1, the library is in version 5.0 and in another project the library version is 12.0.
The filenames are identical but the content is different.
sean Posted - Sep 20 2006 : 02:56:27 AM
Do you have the "watch for externally modified files" option enabled (VA Options|Text Editor|C/C++)? If so, disable it and then press the Rebuild button on the Performance node of the VA options. Then restart. Try that for awhile and see if it improves the situation after a week or so of use.
eco Posted - Sep 19 2006 : 03:04:47 AM
My scenario is different, I'm working on a framework that is used by several projects.
This projects are not on the same version of the framework. On my machine I get all the projects (readonly) as I help teams.
One time I open a project in Visual 2003 in a given location, One another timer (sometime in the same time) I open another project that can be in .net 2005.
sean Posted - Sep 18 2006 : 12:38:54 PM
Good point. In Kevin's scenario, there is one IDE and two different files (that happen to be different versions of the same file) are opened in it. That will cause multiple alt+g entries - that's not likely to change.

It raises another question for eco:
Are you opening different versions of files inside other versions of the project?
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 18 2006 : 12:17:11 PM
I've seen something similar to this. Let's say I have a project in c:\\projects\\main\\foo. I'm working on a branch of the project in c:\\projects\\builds\\foo\\rev1 or similar. While editing file foo.cpp, I want to see how something is implemented in the main codeline, so I use file - open - c:\\projects\\main\\foo\\foo.cpp. This triggers a parse of the files in the main project, and I see references to those files when I perform Alt+G in the branch project's files. I am able to reproduce this with build 1534 in VS.NET 2003.
sean Posted - Sep 18 2006 : 11:54:38 AM
Are the different versions in the same directory or are they located in unique directories?
Are you working on them at the same time in multiple IDEs?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000