Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Excellent support and new C++ queries

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jon12345 Posted - Sep 21 2006 : 02:39:53 AM
Firstly I'd like to say thanks to Wholetomato and Sean for fixing the previous bug so quickly.

I have another possible issue to do with macros. Here is how I think it can be reproduced.

1) Place the following in a header file which is outside of the solution that is currently loaded:
#define TEST static void foo();

2) #include that header in a CPP file in the current solution.

3) In the CPP file, insert the following code:
struct MyClass
{
TEST
};

4) When you try to use "MyClass::", Intellisense does not suggest foo() as a possible option.

5) Intellisense works as it should if the macro is in the CPP.

--------------

The second issue has to do with static functions. For example, if a struct has:

struct MyStruct
{
static void foo();
void bar();
};

and the user types "MyStruct::", both foo() and bar() are suggested, even though foo() is the only valid option.

Additionally, if the user types "MyStruct xyz; xyz.", both foo() and bar() are suggested, even though arguably statics shouldn't really be called from an object instance.

Thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 24 2006 : 8:56:05 PM
second issue first part: case=2685
second issue second part: case=2686
jon12345 Posted - Sep 22 2006 : 07:55:37 AM
Yes, I think you have reproduced the first problem correctly.

Regarding the second issue, I think correcting the first part would be a definite improvement to Visual Assist, as Intellisense is suggesting options that won't compile. Can I suggest this as a feature request?

With regard to the second part, I think most people would agree that statics shouldn't be called from object instances. For example, C# disallows it. (A checkbox in Visual Assist options could always allow it if anyone disagreed.)
sean Posted - Sep 22 2006 : 04:40:26 AM
I am seeing a problem similar to the first - if I modify an external header in a separate editor before I open the IDE, the change is not picked up by VA. Once I edit the file in the IDE, VA suggests foo() for MyClass::. Is this true for you?
case=2652

The second two issues both have merit - though when something is arguable there's a can of worms waiting to be opened.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000