Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1535: No macro tooltips in debugger

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 22 2006 : 3:20:57 PM
Tooltips for C/C++ macro values are not displayed while debugging:

In order to see the value of the macro, I have to click the macro and look up to the navigation bar. I know a while back there were several threads regarding double tooltips in the debugger. I wonder if this is a side effect of the fix? Can anyone else reproduce this?

VA X 1535 on VS.NET 2003 SP1
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 30 2006 : 5:06:41 PM
yes, the integration is very impressive

the tooltips are confused by the fact that in VS2003 sometimes the tooltip is from VA, and sometimes the tooltip is from the IDE.
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 25 2006 : 10:45:16 AM
I found the problem! In VS.NET 2003, Tools - Options G?? Text Editor G?? C/C++ - Formatting G?? Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips was unchecked. With this checked, the macro values are correctly displayed in the debugger. However, it is the IDE that's displaying them, not VA X.

[tangent]
I didn't even realize the IDE could do this. Being a VA X user during the transition from VC6 to VS.NET 2003, it's sometimes hard for me to flesh out what services are provided by the IDE and what services are provided by VA X. Now that's tight integration!
[/tangent]
rhummer Posted - Sep 25 2006 : 10:22:41 AM
I see the issue using VS2005. I get no toolips for macros, and no tooltips for methods called from objects. Methods called from the same object show from the IDE only.

Alt+G does work for me Feline.

case=2704
kevinsikes Posted - Sep 24 2006 : 11:35:14 PM
I get tooltips on functions, but they are from the IDE. Likewise, the tooltips for variables are from the IDE and show the value of the variable without its type. Alt+G goes to the definition properly, and clicking on the macro shows its value in the Definition Field, so VA X knows the value of the macro but is not displaying it in a tooltip. I see the correct macro tooltip when editing.

See this movie to view the problem.
feline Posted - Sep 24 2006 : 4:46:54 PM
i get the tooltips with VS2003 SP1 installed. i am testing in a very simple C++ command line project, that has been paused with a breakpoint (F9)

are you getting tooltips on functions and types?
if you try alt-g on MAX_TEXT_LINES what happens?
do you get the tooltip on this when you are editing?

did this effect start when you installed SP1? if not do you have any idea of the trigger? or has it always been like this?
feline Posted - Sep 24 2006 : 3:20:32 PM
i am not seeing any problems with VS 2003 and VA 1535 here, but no service pack is installed. i shall install SP1 and see if that makes a difference.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000