Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Collapsed source & comments problems in 1535

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike from reFX Posted - Oct 02 2006 : 10:00:48 AM
Whenever I comment a large block of code out, after a certain amount of lines/bytes (don't know which) the comment no longer uses my colors.

Also when collapsing a large function/#define-block, after a certain amount of lines/bytes, the remainder of the block is displayed, although it should be collapsed.

Certainly no show-stopper, but it would be nice to have it working properly. If it's a RAM/speed problem, then it could perhaps be a user-option? I have more than enough RAM and I guess my 3.2 GHz CPU can handle this quite well ;)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 12 2006 : 08:03:21 AM
is this effect file specific?
what, exactly, are you doing? i.e. are you wrapping a block of code in #if 0, #endif and then telling the IDE to collapse this? or are you wrapping the code in comments and collapsing the comment block?

are there collapsible blocks inside this block?

can you close the IDE and open regedit, and go to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\ SOFTWARE \\ Microsoft \\ VisualStudio \\ 8.0 \\ Addins \\ VAssistNET.Connect8 \
and change the key LoadBehavior from 1 to 0. this will stop VA from loading when you run the IDE. can you see if this makes any difference to this problem?
Mike from reFX Posted - Oct 11 2006 : 3:11:28 PM
And now it stopped working again. Sometimes only the first 50-60 lines are collapsed :(
feline Posted - Oct 09 2006 : 06:43:47 AM
I have commented out entire files, sometimes several thousand lines, with many different versions of VA, and I have never seen this problem.

I am pleased this is now fixed. I am guessing something was "upset", and installing the new version of VA, which triggers a rebuild of VA's symbol databases somehow fixed it.
Mike from reFX Posted - Oct 08 2006 : 09:11:36 AM
What can I tell you: after installing 1538 it works! So either VA confused VS2005 or it was a bug/limitation of VA all along which has been fixed by now.

85 lines? Pah. I was talking more along the lines of 300-400 lines... Yeah, I know, I should use more functions etc. but sometimes one easy "if...else if" construct grows and grows over time and after 14 file-format revisions you simply want to collapse the converter-code ;)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Mike
feline Posted - Oct 07 2006 : 1:43:08 PM
using VS2005 professional, C++, VA 1538
i have just taken an 85 line block of code and wrapped it in #if 0, #endif
once VS2005 caught up with this it was all coloured correctly.
collapsing and expanding the block using CTRL-M, CTRL-M also worked perfectly.

i then replaced the #if 0, #endif lines with /*, */ comments, turning the 85 lines into a single comment block. the entire block was shown in the correct comment colour for me.

when your new machine is up and running can you see if this still happens?
is it file or project specific?
does it happen before you install VA?
Mike from reFX Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 08:28:28 AM
Sorry for the delay:

rhummer: IDE: VS 2005 C/C++ Professional in XP SP2
feline: the colouring works fine in #if 0, #endif blocks, but they are not collapsed completely. If instead of using #if 0, #endif you try to comment out that block, you will see that after a few dozen lines, the syntax-colouring for that commentet out block completely goes away, so in my case (comments have a non-white background colour to distinguish them visually faster from the rest) it becomes quite confusing and I can't tell if the block is commented out or not by a quick glance.

Haven't tried with VA X disabled, will do soon. Can't use the IDE etc. right now (new hardware etc.)
feline Posted - Oct 03 2006 : 10:13:16 AM
what sort of size are you talking about? before now i have wrapped several thousand lines of code in a single #if 0, #endif block and all of the lines were coloured correctly.

the colouring stopping might make sense if there is some specific piece of code that upsets the IDE or VA, but as rhummer says, VA does not collapse the code, the IDE does that on its own.
rhummer Posted - Oct 02 2006 : 10:19:39 AM
That sounds more like and IDE problem to me since the IDE handles the code collapsing and comment coloring...

What IDE are you using, and have you tried disabling VA X and seeing if the issue still occurs?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000