Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 autocomplete for include files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - Nov 09 2006 : 04:48:57 AM
Hi,

I just switched to VS2005 and I have a problem with the autocomplete of header files (C++):

If I type
#include "

without accepting the VAX proposal to add "", but type the " manually, then I do not get the header suggestion list from VAX.

If I type
#include

and then accept VAXs proposal to add "", then the suggestion list appears normally.

My colleague has the same system and build as I have, and he does not have this problem. The only differences in our systems is that I disabled VS2005 intellisense by renaming the feacp.dll.

Some more details:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1540.0 built 2006.10.27
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.7
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.9
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Courier New 18(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\include;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\devstudio\\vs2005\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 11:19:25 AM
Nice catch!
eve Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 11:03:42 AM
Nope, I didn't and enabling it solves the problem, thanks!

You have to admit that it is hard to see the link between the option and the feature it enables .
support Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 10:43:39 AM
Do you have "Auto List Members" enabled in Tools|Options|Text Editor|C/C++|General?
eve Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 02:45:32 AM
No, it only appears if I press ctrl-space.
sean Posted - Nov 15 2006 : 4:09:21 PM
If you pause a second before typing the opening double-quote does the list appear properly?
feline Posted - Nov 14 2006 : 4:17:06 PM
Can you open the solution, then enable VA's logging:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Enable logging

and reproduce the problem. Can you the quit the IDE, to stop the log files getting to large, and submit them via:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

referencing this thread in the description, so we can match it up. Hopefully this will give us a clue about what is going on here.
eve Posted - Nov 14 2006 : 10:13:34 AM
I can't see any difference in our configuration that could mater.

I don't really know why I'm typing the rest, maybe to give me some time to remember what I actually want to include .

Is there any debug switch that I can enable?
feline Posted - Nov 13 2006 : 12:06:47 PM
Are there any obvious differences in setup or configuration between your machine and your colleagues?
So far I cannot reproduce this here.

Are you both running the same anti virus solution?

On a related front, if you are seeing the suggestion after #in why are you typing the rest of the line? Personally I hardly ever type the whole line, I prefer to have VA do as much of my typing as possible for me.
eve Posted - Nov 13 2006 : 03:20:41 AM
I do get the suggestions after typing #in, and if I use these suggestions then I get the list of possible includes.

I created a new empty project, and the same problem appears there as well.
feline Posted - Nov 10 2006 : 09:05:05 AM
if you simply type #in then you should get two autotext suggestions:

#include ""
#include <>

Do you see these? If you accept the first one do you now get the list of files to include?

Do you have time to try this on a new, default project? It is possible the number of files, or something about the project settings is a factor.
eve Posted - Nov 10 2006 : 03:04:42 AM
We only have our own plugin that links with sourcesafe and the build system. My colleague has exactly the same sets of plugins and he does not have the problem.
Waiting a bit longer does not help, but pressing ctrl-space does. The directory where I'm editing contains a few thousand headers, and adding one or more does not help.

It's not really a big problem, but I was starting to get used to VAX knowing what I want to include ;-)
feline Posted - Nov 09 2006 : 12:27:42 PM
Do you have any other plugin's installed? I have just tried this, both with feacp.dll in place, and with feacp.dll renamed, and in both cases I am getting the list of header files.

For me I am manually typing:

#include "|

I am ignoring all VA suggestions as I type this line. As soon as I type the open double quotes the list of header files appears.

Does waiting for a few seconds make any difference?
What happens if you press CTRL-SPACE with the caret in this position? For me this brings up the list.
Are there any header files in the same directory as the cpp file you are editing? Does adding one or two help?

If a very long list is being generated then this may take a little while to appear, certainly the first time.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000