Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 File was not properly saved dialog

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sjaffe Posted - Nov 15 2006 : 4:36:30 PM
VAX 1540, eVC 4.0: I get the VAX dialog "Visual Assist has detected xxx was not properly saved" several times a day. Any idea why this is happening and how to avoid it? I don't believe the IDE was closed without saving opened files, which seems like a reasonable cause for this to occur.

Sorry I don't have more information.
Thanks, Stan
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Feb 23 2007 : 02:48:18 AM
Case 4590 is fixed in build 1547.
feline Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 5:30:31 PM
This problem with files not being saves is

case=4590
sjaffe Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 2:56:45 PM
When I first open and attempt to modify a file, I get a dialog asking if I want to check the file out. I click yes and the file is checked out.

I sometimes would get two copies in the history folder, but the problem did not require this to show up. It also happens with only one history file per edited file.

So now that you've invested those 2 hours connecting up Perforce, could you please verify Topic 5623, which I believe is also version control related?
feline Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 2:23:35 PM
It has taken 2 hours *sigh* but I am seeing the same effect as you.
When you modify the file do you get a dialog asking you if you want to check the file out?

I am getting two copies of each edited file in the history folder, which seems to be the cause of the problem.
Now the question is, can I reproduce the problem without needing Perforce.

As for Perforce its self, I am remembering why I dislike both the website and some of the details of the programs UI. IDE integration just worked, when I finally got there, with EVC++, but it was so hard to make it work with VS2003 / VS2005 that in the end I just gave up.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 12:09:26 PM
We've got a whole group of people using Perforce integrated with eVC with no problems (other than perhaps the one we're addressing here ;^) I believe you can run into trouble if the Perforce addin isn't recognized by the IDE. This should happen automatically, but in certain cases may require doing some manual manipulating. The Perforce support has been superb; you should take advantage of it if you have trouble.

DISCLAIMER: I am not employed by nor have any friends or relatives working for Perforce ;^)
feline Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 12:02:24 PM
I was hoping to avoid Perforce. Last time I tried to make Perforce and IDE integration work I gave up, after wasting many hours swearing at the IDE.

I will install Perforce on the test machine and create a local repository and see what happens.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 10:54:47 AM
I am saving the changes before I close all windows.

I am not doing anything between closing all windows and attempting to open the file.

The files are in Perforce. I tested this again and found this seems to only occur when the files are first checked out. If the files are already checked out it did not happen. I tested this five times. It happened both times when the files were first checked out and did not happen the remaining three times when the files were already checked out.

Please try to repeat this with the files in Perforce:

1. Open file in eVC
2. Modify file (will check out and make file writable)
3. Save file
4. Do same with a second file
5. Close all windows
6. Open either file (should get dialog, history files not deleted)

I am able to get this to happen every time I follow this sequence.

I am using build 1543 now. Note there is at least one other topic active (Find References F4 intermittent, Topic 5623)) that appears related to Perforce (CM in general?) integration with eVC and VAX.
feline Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 10:13:17 AM
Using a test project and EVC 4 with VA1540 I have performed the following test:

* while the IDE is closed delete all files in VA's history folder
* open the IDE and load the project
* open two code files:

C:\\src_evc\\hello2\\hello2.cpp
C:\\src_evc\\hello2\\hello2.h

* I have added comments to both files and saved them using CTRL-S
* there are now 2 files in VA's history folder - corresponding to the two files I have edited
* use IDE window menu -> close all to close these files
* the two files in history are both deleted

are you saving the changes you have made to these code files before closing the open windows?
Are you discarding changes when closing the windows?
You are just about at the point of reproducing this on demand, which is useful, but so far I am not seeing the same effects as you.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 6:30:14 PM
I can also get this to happen using the menu pick: Window->Close All
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 6:21:17 PM
I think I found it. I open several files in eVC, then check them out and edit them. I now have a corresponding file in the history folder for each one. I have mapped a keyboard key to the function WindowCloseAll. When I close all the files using WindowCloseAll most times the history files are NOT deleted. The next time I attempt to open any of these files, the "not properly saved" dialog is displayed. Smoking gun???
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 4:12:45 PM
My real time anti-virus has been disabled when the problem occurs. I am not running any desktop search program. I am not aware of any "odd" utilities. Once upon a time I had a problem with Visual Studio locking files while it scanned for intellisense, but that's probably irrelevant. It seems like the problem is the history files are sometimes not deleted when they should be(?)
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 1:04:31 PM
Time to start clutching at straws. You are not doing anything "odd" or "different" as far as I can tell. I do very similar things all the time myself, in various IDE's with various builds of VA and never seen this effect.

What sort of anti-virus do you have on your machine?
Are you running any form of desktop search program that might be scanning / indexing or even locking the files?
Any "odd" utilities or programs running that I am unlikely to be using?

Do the other developers where you work also use VA?
If so do any of them experience this problem?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 10:49:49 AM
I use the Shift-Alt-O feature of VAX to specify the file I wish to edit. This is the point where VAX may ask if I want to open the saved file rather than the local file. It will present this dialog when there is a corresponding file in the history folder. This is the only way this dialog shows up.

Once I start typing, I get a dialog asking if I want to check the file out (if it is not already checked out). I say yes and the file is checked out and made writable.

I also will update my workspace periodically, which modifies the contents of local files that have been checked in/modified by other developers.

feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 05:53:40 AM
The number of files in the history folder should not grow endlessly, but I am familiar with seeing multiple old versions of the same file. So this bit does not surprise me.

I just don't see why you are getting this message. Clearly you are, but I have done any number of external edits over the years, and not had this problem.

Do you only see this dialog when opening the file in the IDE? How are you opening the file? This is the only obvious difference from what I do. When I do an external edit I have the file open, and am using a second, different editor to do something specific to a file I am working on.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 5:32:53 PM
Results running VAX 1543:

1. Open file in eVC
2. Check file out from Perforce through eVC (file now shows up in history folder)
3. Diff local and history file (extra 21 lines at end only)
4. Edit file in eVC and save (history file shows change, history and local same + 21 lines)
5. Edit file in external editor (local file has edit, history file does not)
6. Switch back to eVC (external edit is seen in eVC editor, and history file)
7. Edit in eVC (change in both files)
8. External edit of file (local file shows change, history file does not)
9. Switch back to eVC (again, all sync'ed up correctly.
10. Close file in eVC (history file is now gone)

Doing more experimenting and found I can create a situation where there is more than one history file for a given source file. When I close this file in eVC, ONE of the history files goes away, but the other remains. When I attempt to open the file again, I get the dialog. I have not found the magic sequence to recreate this yet, but have seen it several times. Perhaps this will help? Will continue to monitor the history folder.
feline Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 4:32:35 PM
I use perforce myself with both VS2003 and VS2005, plus I often make external edits to files I have open in VS2005, VS2003 and VC6 and I never see this problem.

I have checked, and VA knows about the padding, and ignores it when comparing the files.

Can you talk me through the exact steps, ignoring Perforce its self for the moment?
Using EVC++4 and VA 1540 I have just performed the following test:

* load a solution inside the IDE
* select a cpp file, and close this file
* edit the file using notepad, and save the changes
* open the file inside EVC++4 by double clicking on it in solution explorer

I then ran the same test again, but I also marked the file as read only after editing it, before opening it inside the IDE.

In both cases there are no messages from VA about this file being edited.
How similar is this set of tests to what you are doing?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 3:54:29 PM
Here's some more hints: I compared a couple of the files in this history directory with ones on my hard drive. There were two types of differences: the first is it appears VAX is adding 21 blank lines on the end of each file. The second is when I update my Perforce workspace (local hard drive files), I pick up the changes from other developers. I compared my local disk file against the corresponding file in the VAX history directory. The diff showed the changes I picked up when I updated my workspace and the mysterious 21 extra lines. When I then attempted to open this file in eVC, I got the "Visual Assist has detected xxx was not properly saved" dialog. What event triggers when files are added and removed from this directory? If a file is modified outside eVC, how is this propagated to this history file? It seems like things are getting out of sync between history and local disk contents.
feline Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 3:28:11 PM
Manually settings files as read only with VC6 is not producing that dialog here.

Can you try deleting all files in the folder:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\evc4\\history\
and then, next time you get this message can you manually diff the the current version of the file with VA's latest backup, which will be in this directory?

Hopefully this will offer some clues as to why this message is appearing. Your comment about "keyword expansion change" has my attention, and I am wondering if this is the trigger.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 1:54:42 PM
It's already on. AFAIK the checkin should only be changing the file from writable to read only. (There may possibly be some keyword expansion change)
feline Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 08:24:04 AM
I suspect these two effects are independent.

Is it possible that these files are being resolved or merged by Perforce when you do a check in? This might explain what is happening, since the file will suddenly "change" in an unexpected manor.

Does turning on:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary

make any difference?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 12 2007 : 4:04:36 PM
A possible clue as to what might be influencing this: while not 100% repeatable, it appears this may be related to having files checked out (from Perforce through eVC), then checking them back in (again, through eVC). Some (not all) of the files that were previously checked out, then checked in give this "not properly saved" message when I attempt to open them in the editor (after they were checked back in). (VAX 1543)

Note I found this checking files in/out also seems to be having an affect on F4 no longer working with Find References. (Topic 5623)
feline Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 08:23:51 AM
This should only occur if the IDE crashed. Are you getting this while the IDE is running, or only after you have restarted the IDE?

To clear out VA's list of backup files you can use:
VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Clear history, cache and temporary files

this should cut down on the number of times you are seeing this, and possibly fix this problem.

Are the source files you are being asked about being modified outside of the IDE?
Are they stored on a shared drive?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000