Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1540: types of files in the OFiW

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Nov 27 2006 : 6:46:00 PM
I am wondering which kinds of files should be in the OFiW dialog?
I am seeing here for example .PNG files, but not .BMP or .ICO files.
Opening .PNG files from the OFiW dialog will open them in MSPAINT.EXE for no explainable reason.
Also seeing here .vsmdi files which open in the XML editor instead of the VS Test Manager.
The .CD files also open in the XML editor instead of the Class Diagram Editor.

And where is the "Open with" dropdown button that I requested one year ago? Still not finding it...

Anothing thing is the random syntax coloring of the edit box in the OFiW dialog which seems to have returned from the bug grave.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 28 2006 : 5:57:06 PM
I filtered OFIW by the file extension, for this very reason. As soon as you have more than 5 items, let alone 5,000 items, scanning the list manually is not that reliable.

My theory is that my brain is optimised for more interesting tasks than manually scanning a list of boring string
Uniwares Posted - Nov 28 2006 : 5:50:07 PM
In the solution explorer they are all listed, under the Resources folder. And checking it now, opening the project and the OFiW the icons are listed there too. Doh, am i just getting old or what?
Let me watch that space a bit more.
feline Posted - Nov 28 2006 : 5:24:14 PM
I have just checked a simple C# project in VS2005 and the ICO file is listed for me. The ICO file is simply listed in solution explorer as a file in the project. I suspect this is because the project was originally created in VS2003 and the IDE put it there.

Are your missing ICO files listed in solution explorer?
I don't see why they should be listed for me, but not for you.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 28 2006 : 3:17:31 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention+? VS2005, C# project.
feline Posted - Nov 28 2006 : 12:45:04 PM
using VS2003 and VA 1541 with a C++ project I have added a PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF file to the resources list in solution explorer. All 4 files are showing up quite happily in OFIW. I am also seeing ICO files listed when the project contains an ICO file.

For me PNG files open in Internet Explorer, but I can explain this. Drag and drop a PNG file into the IDE, expecting it to do something with it, and it appears in a new IE window, so this is actually "normal" behaviour when the IDE is asked to open one of these files.

I am seeing the same problems with the class diagram using C# and VS2005, that was unexpected.

case=3822

Test manager files, I am seeing problems with these as well in Team Suite edition of VS2005.

The colouring of text if OFIW is indeed back.

case=721

"open with" on OFIW does not seem to be a wildly popular feature request, but it is still in the list.

case=856

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000