Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Problems with VA.X 1540

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dgehri Posted - Nov 29 2006 : 10:35:04 AM
As much as I like VA.X, there are a few very annoying bugs that keep annoying me in my daily work. I would like to know if they are going to be fixed in a future version:

• Given the following setup with a rather simple template class "PointArray", and, in another file, a class with a member variable "vertices_" of that type, spezialized with "int":

File "dg\\geom\\PointArray.h":

namespace dg{
    namespace geom {
      template <typename T>
      class PointArray {
      };
    }}

File "dg\\db\\dbtypes.h":

#include "dg/geom/PointArray.h"
    namespace dg{
    namespace db {
    typedef geom::PointArray<int> PointArray;
    }}

File "dg\\fmt\\gbr\\Test.h":

#include "dg/db/dbtypes.h"
    namespace dg {
    namespace fmt {
    namespace gbr {
    class Test {
      void foo();
      db::PointArray vertices_;
    };
    }}}

File "dg\\fmt\\gbr\\Test.cpp":

#include "Test.h"
    namespace dg {
    namespace fmt {
    namespace gbr {
    void Test::foo() {
      vertices_. // <<<<< NO AUTOMATIC SUGGESTIONS
    }
    }}}

Problem: when typing "vertices_." in the body of Test::foo(), I expect a list box to suggest the various member functions of PointArray. However, I have to type "ctrl-shift" for that list to appear (with the correct contents). Other symbols that are more locally declared don't require me to type "ctrl-shift". Why isn't VA.X suggesting anything, even though it seems to know about the used type ?

Maybe the problem is that I make heavy use of templates and namespaces.

• Often, VA.X displays a suggestion list and highlights one of the suggestions. So far so good, and I accept with Enter. The problem is that 10% of the time, VA.X just inserts the Enter and goes to the next line. I have to manually undo this and try again. On the second attempt it usually works.

• In general, VA.X doesn't like my projects. It fails to suggest meaningful symbols and I end up having to type everything. The problem could be my Java-like file setup with nested namespaces (see above), as well as heavy use of templates. Also, including Boost headers that make heavy use of templates cause VA.X to go nuts

Regards,

Togo

quote:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1540.0 built 2006.10.27
Licensed to:
VA X: XXXXXXXXX (1-user license) Support ends 2007.07.03
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.7
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.9
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Lucida Sans Typewriter 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:
C:\\Daniel\\linkcad\\3rd-party\\FOX\\include;

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 2:20:50 PM
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have been very busy. Using VS2005, C++ and VA 1541 I have just added the following function to a cpp file:

static void testSuggestionList()
{
	int nSuggestMe = 0;
	int nSuggestMe;
}

I manually added new lines, each one saying int nSuggestMe; So far I have added 16 lines. Each time after typing "int" the space and starting to type the variable name in all lower case I would get a suggestion from VA, without focus, where it was suggesting "nSuggestMe". Each time I used the Down arrow key on my keyboard and then pressed Enter or Tab to accept the suggestion. I have attached a screen shot of the suggestion I am seeing just so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Every time the suggestion was entered correctly.

Does this seem to be a valid test for suggestions? Would anyone be able to try the same test on their system and see what happens?
dgehri Posted - Dec 04 2006 : 09:20:56 AM
Feline: I'm using the arrow keys, followed by Enter. I goes wrong maybe 1 time out of 3...

- Togo
feline Posted - Dec 04 2006 : 08:56:35 AM
That's very strange. How are you moving focus into the suggestion listbox? Are you using the mouse or the keyboard? If you are using the keyboard what are you doing? Simply pressing the down arrow once, or something else?

I have never seen this effect myself, so I am wondering if you are doing something differently to me.
When a listbox comes up without keyboard focus how often would this go wrong? 1 time in 100? half the time? all of the time?
schoenherr Posted - Dec 04 2006 : 12:43:17 AM
@feline:
i double checked the behavior, and it's exactly like described be dgehri. my registry patch was overwritten by an other instance of msdev.exe
dgehri Posted - Dec 03 2006 : 10:00:28 AM
Feline,

Yes, it happens only with suggestion lists, the one with the question marks, and only if VA.X doesn't make a default selection. When I manually select one of the entries and hit Enter, VA.X behaves as if nothing had been selected.

Your registry patch fixes the problem, since VA.X always makes a default selection.
feline Posted - Dec 01 2006 : 2:01:42 PM
it does sound like it is the same problem, so one thread certainly makes sense

What I don't yet understand is what might be causing this problem. schoenherr can you answer the questions I asked dgehri, maybe some common element will emerge.
schoenherr Posted - Dec 01 2006 : 12:53:43 AM
@feline: of course i can start a new thread, but i think it's related to this thread because the fact is exactly the same as described by dgehri. The entry in the suggestion list is selected visually but seems to be not selected internally. i mentioned the registry only to give a hint.
feline Posted - Nov 30 2006 : 7:38:57 PM
That's a new one *puzzled*

Does this happen with suggestion lists - which have question mark icons?
If so does it ever happen with any other type of listbox?

Have you used the registry setting to make sure that suggestion listboxes always have focus?
Have you ever seen this problem with a multi-line suggestion listbox? I ask because it is much easier to see if the list has focus when there is more than one item in it.

Do you have any other plugin's installed?
dgehri Posted - Nov 30 2006 : 5:16:19 PM
Feline: than you for the link. But my problem is in fact the one described by Sch+?nherr: even if an item in the selection list has the focus, hitting Enter doesn't insert it into the editor. I have to delete a character, re-type it to again get the suggestion list and hit Enter; only on this second attempt does it work.

Regarding item 3: I'll try to come up with a sample. I also noticed that local bold and stable italic symbols show erratic behavior. The thing is that as soon as I try to isolate the problem, it usually goes away. So it seems that I would have to send you the complete project, which is 100's of MB of proprietary code...
feline Posted - Nov 30 2006 : 2:20:53 PM
For suggestion lists, see here for the reason and the registry key:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

schoenherr if you are having problems with this could you start a new thread, to avoid to much confusion? Please include your VA about information. When I have tested this registry key is always works correctly for me.

dgehri for point 3 can you produce any sort of example, or start point? It is possible to confuse VA with certain parts of boost, but we have a lot of users using VA with boost quite happily.

Very heavy template use can confuse VA, but we do try to fix these problems once they are discovered and pinned down.
schoenherr Posted - Nov 30 2006 : 12:59:21 AM
i can confirm the second problem which you described. maybe it's worth to mention that i have set the registry key to always select in suggestion lists. but this setting seems to be not working.
dgehri Posted - Nov 29 2006 : 11:26:27 AM
I just installed 1541 and at least the first issue seems to be solved.

The second issue, however, remains. I double-checked the problem, and it doesn't actually insert the Enter characters - it just doesn't do anything when I hit Enter. Only on the second attempt is the highlighted entry in the suggestion box inserted.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000