Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Vista RTM issues

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
macke Posted - Dec 03 2006 : 11:37:33 PM
I searched the forum and discovered that several people have had issues with running VAX on Windows Vista. I too am one of them. Of course there is the "trying to write to places where I'm not allowed to write to"-bug regarding the VAX cache. But I'm having a few other issues, such as some features not working (sort of random it seems). Most notably the settings dialog isn't working. No matter if I run VS as administrator or regular user, no worky.

This obviously means that I can't change any settings comfortably and more importantly, I can't enter my license details. Can we expect Vista support soon?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Feb 23 2007 : 02:53:34 AM
Case 169 is fixed in build 1547.
sean Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 9:20:15 PM
case=3828 is fixed in build 1543
sean Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 8:55:38 PM
case=3973 is fixed in build 1543
feline Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 10:34:44 AM
If you were having problems with the options dialog then surround selection was probably not turned on, which is why it was not working.
macke Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 05:25:55 AM
Surround selection actually works in the build I got via e-mail, so cross that one off list.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1541.0 built 2006.11.20
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.08.02
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.1.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.0
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6000.16386
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6000
2 processors
feline Posted - Dec 12 2006 : 3:19:10 PM
Can you start a new thread for surround selection not working, including the information from: VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

This thread is getting a bit long to easily track several issues at once.
macke Posted - Dec 12 2006 : 04:16:45 AM
This is interesting. It seems as though VAX's performance degrades substantially (not as in slow-ness, but as in features actually working) with each such hung process.

Just now I couldn't even get syntax coloring to work, read your post and killed off any hung process after having closed the IDE. Started VS again and et voila, everything works again. Syntax coloring, suggestion box, the whole enchillada. Maybe this can be of some assistance in trouble shooting? Let me know if you need more info!

EDIT: Surround selection doesn't work.
feline Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 12:46:58 PM
When you get the message "VA X: Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush DB..." can you try closing all IDE's, and then search for any hung IDE processes that are running in the background. If you find any please kill them off. This should fix the problem temporarily.

There is a fix for one bug that causes this to happen in the next build of VA, which is due to go up in the next few days. This bug has nothing to do with Vista before anyone asks and as dcaton notes, it has been around for a little while. It has taken us a while to actually reproduce the problem in house.

It happens when you run two copies of the IDE at once, and close one of them while VA is in the middle of rebuilding its symbol database. A hung process can be left running in the background, which is the problem.

For now if you try to avoid closing the IDE while VA is doing a lot of reparsing you should be able to avoid this problem.

case=3828
dcaton Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 08:59:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by macke
One thing I noticed is that VAX more or less always shows this message in the status bar:
"VA X: Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush DB..."

This seems to be regardless of wether I actually have another instance of VS running or not.

I've seen this happen too, and not just on Vista. Once in a while there really is another hung copy of VS open (one of my projects is a VS package so I often have 2 or 3 copies of VS open) but often there is no other copy of VS open.

It's like VA is opening or locking a file and sometimes doesn't unlock or close it, and then assumes another copy of VS/VA has is using it. This isn't new to 1541, I've seen this happen for a while now.
Henrik Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 08:46:29 AM
>One thing I noticed is that VAX more or less always shows this message >in the status bar:
>"VA X: Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush DB..."

Confirmed. This happens on Vista 32 Bit, with only ONE instance of Visual Studio 2005 running.

Henrik
macke Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 08:24:04 AM
Suggestion box stopped working again. I don't know what changed since the last time I ran the IDE, but today the box just stopped working. It's been like this all day, so it never worked initially and then just gave up. What happens is that the suggestion box appears, but as soon as you type something (to shrink it) it disappears. The default intellisense box that appears when VAX is disabled works as expected.

Options in the VAX options dialog doesn't seem to make any difference to the suggestion box. Setting it to not appear doesn't matter, it still shows. I've not tried the updated build of VAOpsWin.dll yet, which I guess might resolve at least part of this (correctly reading/writing registry keys). I'll report back with more information as I have it.

One thing I noticed is that VAX more or less always shows this message in the status bar:
"VA X: Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush DB..."

This seems to be regardless of wether I actually have another instance of VS running or not.
macke Posted - Dec 08 2006 : 10:21:26 PM
It works, thanks a lot Don!
I've yet to report wether this fixes the other issues mentioned. However, this is certainly a flying start!

EDIT: Suggestion box seems to be working as expected again (awesome). Will do further testing tomorrow.
dcaton Posted - Dec 08 2006 : 9:07:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by macke
[If anyone would like to share all these "default value" keys I'd be most grateful!

This should get your options dialog working again:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VAOpsWin]
"LastPage"=dword:0000000b

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VAOpsWin\\Custom Colors]
"Color:0"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:1"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:2"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:3"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:4"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:5"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:6"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:7"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:8"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:9"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:10"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:11"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:12"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:13"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:14"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
"Color:15"=hex:ff,ff,ff,00
macke Posted - Dec 08 2006 : 9:00:33 PM
Great to hear about the progress! I've sent you files from ProcMon but I guess those are useless now. I won't spam your inbox with the other files you requested unless you ask for them.

Unlike dcaton, I don't have a second VA installation anywhere, so I could definatly benefit from either a reg-file which adds these keys to the registry or an early fix build (preferrably the former as I guess I won't have much to gain from getting the fix now or some time next week).

If anyone would like to share all these "default value" keys I'd be most grateful!
feline Posted - Dec 08 2006 : 3:18:30 PM
Some time next week hopefully. For now can you try creating the registry keys manually, or email me via the forum so that I can email you a dll with the fix in it?
alvint Posted - Dec 08 2006 : 2:12:09 PM
Is there an ETA on this new build?
sean Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 11:20:06 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. We've now reproduced the problem in house and have a fix which will be in the next build.
dcaton Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:27:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

For all users which experience this problem:

Do you have a value named "Color:0" at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VAOpsWin\\Custom Colors ?

If so, what is the value?

That's the problem! There are no values for the Custom Colors key at all, and the 'LastPage' value under VSOpsWin isn't there either.

I copied these keys from the VA installation on my laptop (which is still running XP) and now the options dialog works.

Apparently, whatever sets the default reg values for those keys isn't working.

FWIW, all he values under the VANet8 key are ok (as compared with my laptop), and that key has the same permissions level as the VAOpsWin key.
sean Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 9:30:21 PM
For all users which experience this problem:

Do you have a value named "Color:0" at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VAOpsWin\\Custom Colors ?

If so, what is the value?
dwulff Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 11:10:53 AM
To add to Don's information, I too have SQL Server 2005 installed on the same machine with the SQL Server Management Studio, with SP1 applied. I have not installed any other updates, service packs, SDKs, or beta software at this time.
dcaton Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:40:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

dcaton and macke, are either of you running the x64 version of Vista, or are you both using the 32 bit version?

I believe that there are various differences between the 32bit and 64bit versions of Vista. So far none of us can reproduce this problem, but so far none of us have tested on a 64bit version of Vista.

Forgot to mention, this was a clean install of Vista, not an upgrade.

Also, I didn't install the sp beta for VS 2005 on this machine (yet).
dcaton Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:38:15 AM
quote:

dcaton and macke, are either of you running the x64 version of Vista, or are you both using the 32 bit version?

I believe that there are various differences between the 32bit and 64bit versions of Vista. So far none of us can reproduce this problem, but so far none of us have tested on a 64bit version of Vista.

32 bit. Vista 64-bit won't run unsigned device drivers, and I just figured that getting 64-bit signed device drivers for the things my system needs would be an exercise in futility.

I also have SQL Server 2007 installed, which uses the core VS components, so you might try installing that and see if it makes any difference. I also have the VS SDK (November '06 release) installed, which may or may not be significant.

And I have the latest Platform SDK for Vista installed. That changes some of the default include directories in VS (if you run VCIntegrate.exe in \\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0\\Setup). Shouldn't make any difference either, but you never know...

Aside from that, I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about my system. Do you have a debugging version of VA that I could run that would give you more information?
dwulff Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:30:28 AM
It is a clean install on a new machine. AFAIK you cannot upgrade to the 64 bit version of Vista, only the 32 bit version.
feline Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:28:24 AM
dwulff did you upgrade your machine to Vista, or did you do a clean install?

In an ideal world this should not matter, but I am searching for any common element here that might give us another clue.
dwulff Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:25:31 AM
(For the record, I have been using VAX with XP x64 and the same VS configuration as above for 12-18 months with no issue.)
feline Posted - Dec 07 2006 : 10:23:54 AM

dwulff Posted - Dec 06 2006 : 6:39:07 PM
Just to throw my hat in on this one: I am experiencing the exact same problem. Trying to open the VAX options dialog does nothing. I guess therefore it is running as a trial version and will expire in a few weeks? Is there another way I can enter the license information to prevent it expiring?

Vista Ultimate RTM (x64 version)
VAX 10.3.1541.0 (downloaded about an hour ago)
VS 2005 Team Developer Edition
VSTS Team Explorer is the only other addon installed

Do you have any leads on what is or could be causing this problem?

Let me know if you would like me to turn on logging and send in my log files too. With a cursory glance it looks like VAX is writing to its cache files ok, and doesn't appear to be limited by security settings. I don't want to open a new support ticket if this is something you are already tracking.
feline Posted - Dec 06 2006 : 12:22:54 PM
I have asked one of the developers to have a look at this

case=3973
feline Posted - Dec 06 2006 : 08:37:59 AM
Storing our files in a different directory is on our list of things to do:

case=169

I stopped thinking anything was a "quick and easy" fix in VA some time ago

I have the log files, thank you for this. Hopefully they will help.
dcaton Posted - Dec 05 2006 : 4:07:33 PM
quote:

dcaton I have the trace and log files, thank you for that. On an initial scan nothing really leaps out at me as bad, but I did notice someone looking for a manifest file, and not finding one.

The immediate problem is that VA seems to have successfully accessed the options dialog dll. I am off to check out this error log, but as a quick test, are both of you running the new Aero interface? Since I am running Vista inside a VMWare machine I do not have access to Aero, and to be honest I am not that interested in it

However I have seen manifest files uses to turn on the XP styles in winXP, so can either of you try changing your display settings to classic and see if it makes a difference?

Apparently I am using the "Windows Vista" theme here, but I am not sure if Aero is supposed to show up in the pick list if it is available on your graphics card.

macke can I get back to you on this listbox problem, once we have the options dialog working? They might have a common cause.

Yes, I'm running the Aero interface. It's a matter of personal taste of course, but I think it's more visually appealing than the XP interface. These things are mostly fluff though, I doubt anyone is going to become more productive with Aero than any other interface scheme.

In any case, turning it off makes no difference. It's probably a permissions or security issue. VA really needs to store its information in the application data folder, not in the installation directory. It ought to be a very simple thing to fix though, I had to do it in some of my own software and it only took a few minutes.

I just uploaded the log files you requested.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000