Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Listbox filtering members at will

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
macke Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 09:06:37 AM
I've got a problem with VAX not showing all members in the listbox. I've not been able to do more extensive testing, but at a first glance, this seems to be VB.NET only. Basicly what happens is that some members doesn't show up in VAX's listbox, but they do show up in the intellisense listbox. I've tried the "Get contents from default Intellisense" option, but it didn't make a difference.

This happened when I was using XP as well, so it's not new to Vista. I did manage to fix this somehow when on XP, but I have no idea what I did as it was really just "by accident". It's not related to VB.NET's hiding of advanced members I think, as that option is ticked off in the language options (and in fact it's even grayed out).

I've tried rebuilding the database. As stated previously, I haven't seen this happening in other languages so it really might be just me not having a clue as to what the hell I'm really doing ;o)

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1541.0 built 2006.11.20
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.08.02
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.1.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.0
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6000.16386
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6000
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 14 2007 : 02:28:22 AM
case=4558 is fixed in Build 1561
support Posted - Feb 23 2007 : 02:47:19 AM
Case 5007 is fixed in 1547.
macke Posted - Feb 15 2007 : 11:25:07 AM
For the sake of completeness, in case someone else encounters this issue and wonders what is going on:

I sent files to a VAX developer which luckily reproduced the problem. So hopefulle this will get fixed sooner rather than later! =)
feline Posted - Feb 09 2007 : 1:08:17 PM
Thank you for the log files, I have these.

I have asked the developers if they have any idea what is going on here.

case=5007
macke Posted - Feb 09 2007 : 12:12:34 PM
Right, I've sent you the files. Rebuilding the database didn't do much to help with the situation and I couldn't find any NCB files what so ever.

I hope the logs gain you any extra knowledge. Let me know if you need anything more and I'll be glad to assist!
feline Posted - Feb 09 2007 : 08:46:47 AM
The facts clearly suggest VA is causing problems, I agree.

Can you try:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases

and then re-start your IDE. After VA has finished this rebuild can you re-try this specific test, and see if this made any difference? This is unlikely to be a factor, but it is good to check.

Can you also try deleting the projects NCB file, it should be in the base directory of the project. VA should not have anything to do with the NCB file, but a corrupt NCB file can crash the IDE even without VA installed.

If either of these fix the problem then this is good, since the crashes have stopped, but it won't really tell us where the original problem came from.

If this makes no difference can you turn on VA logging, then reproduce the problem, then close the IDE (to stop the log files getting to big) and send them to us please, as described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

hopefully they will give us a clue.

Having a reproducible problem certainly helps.
macke Posted - Feb 09 2007 : 04:44:22 AM
I've got some code that invokes the error on my machine. Unfortunately it is business code and cannot be shared. When writing a specific property the compiler crashes, I'm thinking because of some corruption in the symbol database or such. Disabling VAX when writing the property does NOT invoke the error and is a viable workaround this time. It really is quite annoying though as you really can't tell when it's going to happen.

This has happened on other occasions than the specific one mentioned above, but common to all occasions is that when it does happen it is reproducable by writing the same code again. What's more though is that I think I might have some sort of proof that the compiler crashes as a result of VAX's operation. The crash happens ONLY when you actually ACCEPT the selected suggestion in the suggestion box. If you keep on typing the symbol it's all good. If VAX is disabled when typing the symbol it's all good. Hope this helps!
macke Posted - Feb 09 2007 : 03:53:23 AM
Hey, sorry to revive an old topic, but I figured I'd keep it here so you'd have the history to go along with it.

For a while I've been free of the VB.NET compiler crashes, but recently it started again. I've not been able to figure out much about it, except that it seems to happen whenever the suggestion box appears (the one with the question marks). I don't know how to grab a stack trace when it does crash, all I get is a fancy message box saying something like: "Visual Basic compiler has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Trying to attach a debugger has proven futile. Again, I'm not 100% sure that this is related to VA, but considering it only ever happens when the suggestion box appears I think it's safe to be suspicious of such fact.

Is there anything you can think of that might turn up more information that could shed some light on the problem?
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 08:23:13 AM
As for a fix for VA, I have put in a bug report to say the tabs on these listboxes are missing

case=4558
macke Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 07:22:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

You can now re-enable VA and you should always see all items when a completion listbox appears.

I just tried your workaround and it does indeed look like it's working just fine! Thanks a bundle for providing a clear description. Now all that is needed is a fix in future versions of VAX ;o)

quote:

It would be nice if this fixes the compiler crashing problem.

I'll try to investigate this further ASAP.
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 06:58:51 AM
A work around has been found for the short list.

Disable VA via VAssistX menu -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X
Trigger a completion list, you will get an IDE listbox with two tabs. Click on the "All" tab. The IDE remembers this setting.
You can now re-enable VA and you should always see all items when a completion listbox appears.

This is fairly obvious when someone points it out, so it is a little irritating I did not think of this myself

It would be nice if this fixes the compiler crashing problem.
macke Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 4:18:52 PM
quote:

The possibility that VA is causing the VB compiler to crash is rather worrying. When this happens are you given the option of getting a call stack? That might offer us some clues.

No, unfortunately not. All I get is a small dialog saying something like "The VB compiler encountered a problem and needs to close". It has a progress bar of sorts, similar to a marquee bar. After a while the dialog closes and with it VS.

I'll try to force this later. I'll report back if I succeed.
feline Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 2:58:19 PM
So far no useful news.

The possibility that VA is causing the VB compiler to crash is rather worrying. When this happens are you given the option of getting a call stack? That might offer us some clues.

I would like to think that VA cannot cause any problems for the VB compiler, but I don't know this is true.
macke Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 09:18:31 AM
Any news on this?

I'm not sure if this is related as I have not yet been able to confirm it. But the VB compiler have crashed a couple of times when typing a dot and the suggestion listbox appears. So far I've been able to work around this by either disabling VAX when I work with those specific members or type really fast.

This has never occured when VAX have been disabled, but that alone is of course no proof that VAX is to blame. I'll try to investigate further, but when it happens it's always hidden members such as StringBuilder's AppendFormat() that seem to "trigger" it.
macke Posted - Jan 01 2007 : 5:54:37 PM
quote:
possible clue, while testing this I was able to produce a completion listbox with two tabs, and there were just 8 items, the 8 items VA is showing me, on the first tab.

I have seen this before I think, but not been able to reproduce it.

quote:
Are you prone to trying to control / tweak the IDE via regedit?
I am just wondering where you might have looked for a fix to this problem.

Nope, never have used the registry directly to tweak the IDE.
feline Posted - Dec 29 2006 : 2:02:55 PM
Looking over the case, the note I made about the tabs was:

possible clue, while testing this I was able to produce a completion listbox with two tabs, and there were just 8 items, the 8 items VA is showing me, on the first tab.

This definitely supports the theory that these "advanced" members are a factor, but this does not help to explain how you were able to fix this once before.

Are you prone to trying to control / tweak the IDE via regedit?
I am just wondering where you might have looked for a fix to this problem.
macke Posted - Dec 29 2006 : 12:45:08 PM
quote:

For me in VS2005:

tools menu -> options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Hide advanced members

is showing a green square, as if the answer is "mixed", rather than on or off, but I cannot find any languages where this setting is turned on. It is disabled for several (including Basic), and turned off for the rest.

Exactly the same on my machine.

quote:

Given you managed to fix this once before suggests that some setting somewhere is important. You could try setting this option to off and see if it makes a difference.

It makes no difference what so ever. I've tried this several times but it doesn't seem to change anything at all. In fact, the checkbox stays gray to suggest some language or languages has this option checked, even though I've unchecked the box previously. As with your test, Basic has the checkbox disabled alltogether.
feline Posted - Dec 29 2006 : 09:06:24 AM
It would make sense if this distinction between advanced and other methods was involved in the problem.

For me in VS2005:

tools menu -> options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Hide advanced members

is showing a green square, as if the answer is "mixed", rather than on or off, but I cannot find any languages where this setting is turned on. It is disabled for several (including Basic), and turned off for the rest.

Given you managed to fix this once before suggests that some setting somewhere is important. You could try setting this option to off and see if it makes a difference.
macke Posted - Dec 28 2006 : 9:06:43 PM
So far I have yet to come up with a case where this happens in another language. It does indeed seem as though this is a problem when running VAX under VB.NET only. What really bugs me is that I know I managed to fix this somehow when I was running Windows XP, but can't remember what I did.

Could it be that this problem is related to the fact that VB.NET cares about members marked "advanced"? An attribute which, if you ask me, is incredibly silly.

Let me know if you need anything more from me!
feline Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 12:17:50 PM
That's OK, these things happen I was just trying to make sure that there was not some other serious bug we were not yet aware of.
macke Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 04:15:10 AM
quote:

and I am getting a much longer list than 15 when I press CTRL-SPACE. When you have a bit more time can you see if this happens all of the time in C#, or only with specific code or functions?

I'm sorry, I must have been unclear. What I meant was that I took C# as a reference as to what SHOULD be displayed in the list, not that the listbox in C# is lacking. Sorry, my last post was a bit rushed and reviewing it I realize it wasn't very clear.

I re-checked the listbox in C# and verified that the number of items in the list is indeed 15. CTRL-SPACE does nothing in this case, the same items are displayed. Unfortunately, I'm not working on anything C# specific right now so any testing I'm able to do is very much time limited, what with the holidays and all coming up. I did check with MSDN though and the listing i get in C# seems to correspond with the documentation of StringBuilder.

However, it's of course important to note that StringBuilder is not the only class that the listbox in VB fails to populate. The same seems to happen with most any classes, except perhaps my own (not tested with libraries).

Again, sorry that I was unclear. From the limited testing I've done this issue does indeed seem to be local to VB.NET and not something that C# suffers from. I've not yet been able to check this with any other language, sorry.
feline Posted - Dec 18 2006 : 2:33:13 PM
We should have enough information for the VB form of the problem, since I was able to reproduce this easily.

So far I cannot reproduce the problem with StringBuilder in C#, I used the code:

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
sb.|

and I am getting a much longer list than 15 when I press CTRL-SPACE. When you have a bit more time can you see if this happens all of the time in C#, or only with specific code or functions?
macke Posted - Dec 18 2006 : 09:08:17 AM
quote:
to get rid of the underlining. I am only seeing 8 items on the first completion listbox. If I press CTRL-SPACE I get a LOT more items. Is this similar to what you are seeing?

I get 9 if you count the constructor, correct otherwise. The listbox after ctrl+space seems to contain pretty much everything EXCEPT sb's members. If I write Append after ctrl+space I get the suggestion box instead (the one with the question marks).

Doing the same in C# gives me some 15 members, give or take.

As a side note: I'm sorry for the delay at which I'm replying. I'm absolutely swamped with work so replies are sort of sporadic. If you need me to reply faster, I'd be happy to respond via e-mail.
feline Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 6:32:54 PM
I changed it to:

Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder()
sb.

to get rid of the underlining. I am only seeing 8 items on the first completion listbox. If I press CTRL-SPACE I get a LOT more items. Is this similar to what you are seeing?

case=4114
macke Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 1:48:06 PM
Completion list indeed, suggestion box seems to work properly.

An example, "AppendFormat" is not visible in the completion list in this code:

Dim sb As New StringBuilder()
sb. <-- AppendFormat does not appear in the completion list

Obviously, this happens everywhere basicly.
feline Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 11:31:48 AM
I know that in C# VA gets the content of completion listboxes from the IDE, and I suspect the same behaviour applies for VB.

Just to double check, you are looking at completion listboxes, they appear after CTRL-SPACE, and not suggestion listboxes (question mark icons) or some other type?

Are you getting this problem with all lists, or only some?
Can you post a few lines of code showing me what you are doing to get an incomplete list?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000