Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Frequent reparsing of #using DLLs

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
glynn.morgan Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 09:52:01 AM
I am using VC++2005 with Managed C++.
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1541.0 built 2006.11.20

My cpp files need to #use the following private DLLs

#using "..\\Debug\\Common.dll"
#using "..\\Debug\\IMiddleMan.dll"
#using "..\\Debug\\ISender.dll"
#using "..\\Debug\\ITimeIt.dll"

For some reason Visual Assist reparses these DLLs quite frequently when I am doing nothing other than browsing code. The reparse takes a minute or two, even though those DLLs are of the order of 40Kbyte in size. During the reparse, my PC slows down to an unusable state.
What is causing this and can I disable the constant reparsing?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 21 2006 : 11:18:10 AM
Do either of you have this setting turned on:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary

if so does turning it off make any difference?
Are these dll files being modified regularly? Given their location I assume some project is building them.

I used a much larger dll for my tests to make sure I would not miss the effect of the file being reparsed, on the theory that a larger file would take even longer to reparse.

Can you try telling VA to reparse the current file:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

and see if this triggers VA to reparse these dll's? I am not sure why this is happening, so I am searching for clues to help explain the effect.
glynn.morgan Posted - Dec 21 2006 : 09:07:34 AM
Both my collegue and myself are experiencing this problem, and notably, we are working on totally separate projects.
The "Importing.." happens at random intervals for both of us. Sometimes when we are switching windows (eg. double click on a solution explorer cpp file), scrolling, editing, saving a file and certainly during/after building.

I must re-iterate that the time spent "importing" is disproportionate to the DLL file size (30k typically).
feline Posted - Dec 20 2006 : 5:59:26 PM
That seems to prove it is VA causing this. This is not a problem I recognize so I wondered if the problem might have been the IDE instead, but it seems not. As a temporary work around you could try adding ".dll;" to:

VA Options -> Projects -> Extensions -> Extensions to ignore

however this might have other, unwanted side effects.

Using VS2005, VA 1543 and a managed C++ console project here I have added:

#using "../debug/fbembed.dll"

which is a 1.4meg DLL from the firebird database, on the theory this should show the effect as well as several smaller dll's. I got the message about VA parsing the dll when I added this line, but so far I cannot make it parse it a second time.

How frequently are you seeing this effect?
What sort of browsing are you doing? Simply scrolling up and down the files? Jumping around with alt-g? Using find in files? Using VA's find references?
glynn.morgan Posted - Dec 20 2006 : 06:53:25 AM
Did what you suggested,but it makes no difference
glynn.morgan Posted - Dec 20 2006 : 06:34:41 AM
It says in the status bar:

"VA X: Importing ..\\Debug\\Common.dll"

then imports the next one and the next etc.
I presumed that importing meant parsing... but if I am wrong, its still hogging my cpu resources for 2 minutes and very frequently.
feline Posted - Dec 19 2006 : 12:28:43 PM
Do you know that VA is reparsing these files? I would not expect it to do so, certainly not this frequently.

Could you try disabling the IDE's intellisense please, and see if this makes any difference? Hopefully you should know quite quickly if this helps or not. The instructions for doing this are here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000